Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Would you use this...?

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Should 14ers.com have a Group Photo Sharing page?

Poll ended at Wed May 02, 2012 7:15 am

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes : 17
Site Administrator

Would you use this...?

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:15 am

I'm considering an addition to the site for "Group Photo Sharing" and I'm curious if anyone will bother to use it. Here's the scenario:

After a climb I have a batch of photos to share with my climb partners. Email isn't very efficient and not everyone has an online photo account somewhere to post the photos. Normally, I create a zip file and put it on the 14ers.com FTP server and PM my partners the login info and instructions on how they can upload a zip file of their photos to the same location. Works quite well and we can easily grab eachother's photos.

So, should I put together a couple of pages on the site where registered users can upload a large zip file of photos (yes, they will have to be JPG photos) and specify which users can download it? It would have an expiration of a day or two so big files don't add up on the server. It would be attached to you forum account so partners could just visit your profile for a download link.

Thoughts?
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Re: Would you use this...?

Postby Dave B » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:24 am

Great idea!
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby USAKeller » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:29 am

I think that's a sweet idea!
All we are called to do is do the next right thing.

Postby RJansen77 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:30 am

Yes! That would definitely alleviate some of the hassles with email, people not having online accounts, as you stated. Great idea!
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby kansas » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:32 am

Good idea, Bill. One of the reasons I don't bother carrying a camera is because it's a pain to share the pictures with everyone, well that and the fact I have a photographer along for every climb...
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby tmathews » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:45 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I'm considering an addition to the site for "Group Photo Sharing" and I'm curious if anyone will bother to use it. Here's the scenario:

I climb with some partners and we each have a batch of photos to share with eachother after the climb. Email isn't very efficient and not everyone has an online photo account somewhere to post the photos. Normally, I create a zip file and put it on the 14ers.com FTP server and PM my partners the login info and instructions on how they can upload a zip file of their photos to the same location. Works quite well and we can easily grab eachother's photos.

So, should I put together a couple of pages on the site where registered users can upload a large zip file of photos (yes, they will have to be JPG photos) and specify which users can download it? It would have an expiration of a day or two so big files don't add up on the server. It would be attached to you forum account so partners could just visit your profile to see a download link for the batch of photos.

Thoughts?

Yep. I found it pretty convenient when we shared our Ellingwood Point photos from March 2011.

Postby gonzalj » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:48 am

I'm in agreement with everyone else, great idea.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:57 am

There would be a size limit on the zip file (100mb or maybe a bit lower in summer). I would put a prominent warning on the page so people don't waste time uploading larger files only to find out they are rejected.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby AlexMack » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:01 am

I think it's a solid idea Bill!

I'll take this opportunity to just say that I love this site and am always impressed by your dedication to this site, Bill. You don't rest on your laurels and you're always improving what I already thought couldn't be better. There really is nothing like 14ers.com! =D> I actually just ordered my old man a 14ers.com T-shirt for his birthday, like 10 minutes ago, he's always checking this site out when I tell him I'm heading out. When I came back from Sherman a week or so ago he was asking me before I told him anything besides Sherman, "so I'm guessing you went from Iowa Gulch?" and stuff like that always happens, it's awesome. Anyway sorry had to get that in there...great idea.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin