Sugarloaf Mountain (8,917)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
roozers42
14ers: 49 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (20)

Sugarloaf Mountain (8,917)

Post by roozers42 »

Peak - Sugarloaf Mountain (8,917)
December 21, 2006
Team - Jen and Scott
TH - Jen and Scott's house

We've lived off Sugarloaf Rd. west of Boulder for a few years and although we've hiked Sugarloaf Mountain many times, there was never enough snow to ski it. We decided last night that our time had come.

Our objective for the day from our deck.

We left home at the crack of noon, Scott skinning with his tele gear and I snowshoeing and packing my skis. Many thanks to Scott for carrying my boots! From the house we turned onto Left Fork Rd. and then took a right on Mt. King. At the end of Mt. King we started our adventure in breaking trail, some of which was done by an earlier cross-country skier.

We started up Sugarloaf and found that there was quite a lot of deadfall on this side of the mountain. Sort of worried about skiing at this point. We made the summit with clear skies and took a couple of pictures before the descent.

The skiing was pretty crappy and we hit lots of rocks. I would have taken pictures, but our form was less than desireable. After skiing about half the loaf, we decided to bail and take the cross-country trail to the Switzerland TH. We skied Sugarloaf road to Mountain Pines, called our landlord, and got a ride for the last uphill mile. Lame, yes, but we're okay with it.
Kiefer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kiefer »

Sweet little afternoon, Jen! Nice write up too!
You look like a mouse with a piece of cheese in that second picture :lol:
You're obvisouly quite happy!

I'm down for Saturday & Sunday if you & Scott go.
roozers42
Trip Reports (20)

Post by roozers42 »

Thanks, Kiefer!

That's not the first time I've been accused of being a little mousie, especially when it involved cheese...
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

Nice! Looks like you guys had fun.

I've climbed Sugarloaf quite a few times from the 4x4 road, but I never knew you could ski it!

My big adventure today was cross country skiing around my neighborhood, with snowmobiles and ATVs buzzing by. It was the reward after shoveling the driveway/sidewalk. I've never shoveled so much snow in my entire life!

Oh, and I also built a snowman. I used beer caps for the buttons and eyes, and I stuffed a half-smoked cigar in his mouth. My neighbors must love me.
roozers42
Trip Reports (20)

Post by roozers42 »

Aubrey,

I'm not sure that Sugarloaf is "skiable" but we've had the idea that we needed to do it for a while. I think to really ski it the snow would have to consolidate and then have another dump. Regarless, it's our backyard mountain and it was worth the effort (and bad conditions).

Cheers!
Jen
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

I dug 9 cars out of a parking lot today! Not quite as exciting, but very much apreciated. I've been thinking of making a snow-shoe trek up Sanitas Ridge or Anenome Hill tomorrow. Anyone interested in joining me?
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells
ColoradoScott
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (1)

Nice report Jen

Post by ColoradoScott »

Since I've lived in Evergreen, I've contemplated skiing my property too (It's a green beginner's slope). I never have in part because when we get one of these storms, it's so unconsolidated, that I'd still be ass deep in powder! LOL

Glad you enjoyed your day in the snow. I went to the Dr. instead.

Merry Christmas, all!

Scott