If you could backpack anywhere in the US... Where would you?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: If you could backpack anywhere in the US... Where would

Post by highpilgrim »

The Brooks Range in northern Alaska. You can hike hundreds of miles there and never see another person. One of the last almost untouched wilderness areas in North America.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
planet54
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

highpilgrim wrote:The Brooks Range in northern Alaska. You can hike hundreds of miles there and never see another person. One of the last almost untouched wilderness areas in North America.
It is a real chore getting around up there. Permafrost, tussocks,alder bashing,caribou moss, skeeters ,grizz and maps with 200 foot contour intervals, but I would go back in a heartbeat. Time's a wastin'.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

planet54 wrote:
highpilgrim wrote:The Brooks Range in northern Alaska. You can hike hundreds of miles there and never see another person. One of the last almost untouched wilderness areas in North America.
It is a real chore getting around up there. Permafrost, tussocks,alder bashing,caribou moss, skeeters ,grizz and maps with 200 foot contour intervals, but I would go back in a heartbeat. Time's a wastin'.
The mosquitos in some places there were the worst I have ever seen. A hood was mandantory and the incessant droning outside of it was a constant soundtrack. But what a place! It is so cool to see a place like that and to know what it was like a couple of centuries ago in North America. Boundless and teeming with wildlife.

Highly recommended.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

If you have a chance, listen to Andrew Skura's extreme hike through Alaska. I heard it at Neptune last year. He brought an inflatable kayak for some parts so he could cross lakes and short cut inlets. Plus he did the mail drop thing again. Post Offices can be far apart there, and worse if they are ever allowed to close them.
http://andrewskurka.com/slideshows-clin ... -schedule/
godsnthemtns
14ers: 28 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by godsnthemtns »

peter303 wrote:If you have a chance, listen to Andrew Skura's extreme hike through Alaska. I heard it at Neptune last year. He brought an inflatable kayak for some parts so he could cross lakes and short cut inlets. Plus he did the mail drop thing again. Post Offices can be far apart there, and worse if they are ever allowed to close them.
http://andrewskurka.com/slideshows-clin ... -schedule/
Funny you should mention Andrew.... I just went to one of his talks/clinics yesterday! Thanks for the link!
It use to be about proving me, now it's about being me and seeking HIM! Nature is where we are reminded how small we are, but how great we can be with HIM!
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

The Brooks are best in August or May I think. Despite a few snow storms here and there it is generally dry and no skeeters, May would ad the advantage of probably the easiest month of the year to travel since one could move very fast with skis as compared to tundra-whacking. We hitchhiked up the haul road in August 2000 and then just started hiking from near Atigun Pass. 2 weeks later we made our way back to the road and hitched back to Fairbanks. Wow! Hands down the coolest hiking place in the U.S., Canada has a few that rival it, but nothing in the U.S. For a little inspiration check out Deep North, a short film by Corey Rich, a master craftsman.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Explo ... North.html
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gdthomas
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

Technically not in the US but to the top of Mt. Olympus on Mars - three times higher than Everest and little chance of seeing another soul.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

The elevation they give that mountain is so arbitrary. What do they use for a "sea level" on Mars? I've always wondered this :-k
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

gdthomas wrote:Technically not in the US but to the top of Mt. Olympus on Mars - three times higher than Everest and little chance of seeing another soul.
Well, even though it is 80,000 feet above "sea level", it would be an easy class 1 walk up. Supposedly if you were climbing it, it is so gradual that you couldn't tell you were even climbing a hill. But then there is the t/h access. Would a 2WD make it to that t/h? Better take some Ibuprofen for acclimation though as the base air density is only 1% of earth sea level. Even thinner as you ascend. A down jacket might be handy as well.
planet54
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

gdthomas wrote:Technically not in the US but to the top of Mt. Olympus on Mars - three times higher than Everest and little chance of seeing another soul.
I own a mining claim at the top. You are out of luck. :P
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

planet54 wrote:I own a mining claim at the top. You are out of luck.
Ah, but it is heaven in our own universe; there are no lawyers on Mars.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!