Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Which Wich ethics

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Which Wich ethics

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:33 pm

So, after years of accumulating photos of myself holding a Which Wich bag atop various 14ers, I was finally cajoled by Lordhelmut tonight into printing one out and getting that free sandwich.
We drove over there (Colorado and I-25) and asked, "What's the deal?" The first clerk told us we were limited to a 7" of any kind.
The manager came over and corrected him: "No, you can have anything on the menu, just fill out this card and hang it on the wall with your picture." How generous is that?
After filling out the card and tipping the dude a few bucks, I went over to post a pic to get my sandwich that actually wasn't free (pic was from Culebra :oops: ).
Here's where it gets interesting. While looking for a place to hang my photo, I noticed a picture of a forum member. "Wow, cool. I met that guy a couple months ago," I thought to myself.
The board was crowded with folks who'd cashed in on this great promotion, so I kept looking. One guy was on Capitol, another on Crestone, about 20 people were pictured atop Torreys or Democrat. Then, I noticed something odd. The aforementioned forum member was there again, on a different peak (Massive, I think?). "Ok, the guy likes sandwiches," I said to no one in particular. Finally, I found a spot in the corner to hang my pic. Mission accomplished. Our food still wasn't ready, so I looked around to see if I knew anyone else. It took not 30 seconds to find our resident 14ers.com Which Wich denizen in a third picture.

Which Wich does us all a favor by offering a free meal for doing what we love. While I was taken aback by triple dipping the freebies, are you?
How many free sandwiches is too many? Two? Three? Do you just keep going until they recognize you? Once a year? Once per 14er?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Re: Which Wich ethics

Postby Mountain Ninja » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Great subject! I take advantage of their generous offer, but the Which Wich by me (Westminster, 144th & I-25) only allows a 7" free sandwich. I usually am hungry enough to pay for the difference for a large sandwich, so I don't think they lose money. Great sandwiches, btw! I think I have like 15 pics hanging there, all bunched together. Some people post theirs in a vertical organization, to proudly display their successes of all the Sawatch. ;)

Addition: There is no limit on how many times you can "cash in" on this offer. The only "rule" I guess is that it's a new pic each time (from a different trip, not just taken from a different angle while you're wearing a different jacket, heheh).
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Postby mike_kadow » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:08 pm

Ethics about a restaurant chain? Hmm, decent topic I suppose. (I worked at Wendy's in high school for whatever that's worth.)

Somewhat kicking myself of the opportunities missed last year (because I forgot every single time, D'oh!), I didn't think much of it because it was obviously my absent-mindedness.

Those with limited budgets like myself may want to take better note.
As Mountain Ninja notions, I don't think the chain would be hurting were someone to "cash in", but now you have me thinking...

What's stopping a starving artist/hiker from taking their pic to multiple stores of the same summit?
What about all of our prior pix of summits? Could that make for a really nice party sub?! \:D/

To be fair though, I've never been to a Which Wich and haven't read the fine lines. Is that what it boils down to... fine lines and personal ethics?

Postby Paula » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:18 pm

I've always done one per mountain. There's 5 pictures of me up at the Which Wich by my office and another dozen somewhere they never hung. They never seem to care and I've had some good conversations about hiking while waiting in line as a result. I really can't say I feel guilty about eating free sandwiches at a place I advertise for so often.

Postby benners » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:20 pm

I confess Matt, (and please keep in mind this was 5 years ago and I was an inconsiderate college kid) in summer of 2007 (same summer I ran into you on Uncompahgre) my buddy Stu and I summited somewhere in the vicinity of 35 peaks and started taking advantage of the Which Wich offer at the Boulder store. After roughly 8 to 10 free sandwiches the manager (or some employee) told us we were cut off, but that he'd give us free soft drinks instead. I guess there is an upper limit after all :?.

Since then I have not been in there once, as I feel somewhat bad about taking advantage of the establishment once upon a time. On the other hand though they do say, "climb a 14er, get a free sandwich", so if they really mean that they should be prepared to dish out multiple sandwiches to the same people.

Postby COBuckeye » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:30 am

mike_kadow wrote:Somewhat kicking myself of the opportunities missed last year (because I forgot every single time, D'oh!)

I have had the same experience, however now I just keep a Which Wich bag in each one of my packs...kind of like the 11th Essential.

I am cheap, and will not pass up a free meal. That said, I will only get one sando per mountain, though the idea of going around town to every Which Wich with the same picture is tempting.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby Andymcp1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:15 am

Lets be honest, if it were not for the free sandwich promotion which wich does most of us would not go there. Its a great local ad campaign and it does its trick well. You never hear anyone else talking about macaroni grill, sonics, or outback while hiking so the word of mouth does more than enough to cover the cost. I have now taken about 20 pics and have never gotten my free sandwich. I'm thinking though when I finish I will do a 58 day marathon of free grub.

Postby d_baker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Screw the ethics. Matt, I'm disappointed. You should have started a poll on who the 14ers.com star was that you're referring to! That could have been a fun game to play.

Postby TK » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:46 pm

How much do you think they'd spend running a TV commercial once? I'd say it's the most cost-effective viral ad campaign out there. For the cost of one sandwich, they get a commercial. No need to feel guilty or unethical. The guys at Which Wich know how to spread the word and love having hikers plug their business on a summit somewhere miles and miles away.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby spong0949 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:05 pm

I have to thank Which Wich for getting my wife involved in the 14er world....I was able to bribe my wife into hiking with me for a free sandwich. Now she has like 5 or 6 pictures on their wall. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get her to do 13ers with me. They don't offer free sandwiches for 13ers. :)
Mountain photography and fine art:
http://aaronspong.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"