TR - Lakewood Heights (5,640)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TalusMonkey
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (33)

TR - Lakewood Heights (5,640)

Post by TalusMonkey »

Date: 12-21-2006
Team: jcwhite and TalusMonkey
Peak: Lakewood Heights (approx 5,640)
Approach: 6th Ave

jcwhite and I four-wheeled to the trailhead on almost deserted roads. We found suitable parking and geared up for the tough summit day. Immediately after leaving the truck we put on our snowshoes for the approach hike. We had to bypass a deep ravine/ditch to get to the base of the summit. We both agreed that avalanche danger was low for this north aspect slope. We found the powder deep and challenging, but we trudged on.

We laborously dragged our winter equipment up toward the summit. Already we saw several groups above us. After reaching the summit, we ditched our snowshoes and spent a few hours sledding down and climbing back up.

jcwhite eating snow on a head first descent:

jcwhite trying to convince the TalusMonkey that there is an alternative to malt liquors...

After we sledded, jcwhite drove us around Lakewood looking for a dining establishment open for business. Lakewood Grill was one of the few places open, so we stopped for dinner. What a fun snow day for sledding Lakewood Heights! Thanks for coming to get me, jc!
Last edited by TalusMonkey on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."
frannyzoo
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by frannyzoo »

Great report, TM, but I was expecting to see you hurl a large rock from the summit. Or at least a PBR.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Friends don't let friends drink BAD BEER ! :D

Sounds like a fun day. Like a couple of kids on a snowday from school !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
TalusMonkey
Trip Reports (33)

Post by TalusMonkey »

frannyzoo,

I almost had to throw some children off the summit - they were walking in our sled run instead of in the OBVIOUS foot trail we had had packed to the top parallel to the sled run...

mtgirl,

It was my mistake - I was the one who forgot the Colt45 and King Cobra. Luckily, jcwhite had a (poor) substitute in his vehicle. Thus, a disaster was averted. In any case, the PBR did taste better enjoyed with a friend on a snowy day!

Have a great Christmas this weekend. What are you doing on Sunday and Christmas day? Want to be grinches and go hiking on Xmas day?
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."
Jcwhite
14ers: 58  55  13 
13ers: 54 3 1
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jcwhite »

mtgirl wrote:Friends don't let friends drink BAD BEER ! :D

Bad beer you say? You apparently havent had keystone light...miller hi life...at least pbr tastes like beer and not water. But hey, im still in college.

Talus,
Hey great time, have to do it again next time we have a once in a decade blizzard.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson
TalusMonkey
Trip Reports (33)

Post by TalusMonkey »

jcwhite,

I seem to remember telling you and Zacob that I would winter camp with you this year. When you get back from S.A. lets hook that up.
sunshine1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sunshine1 »

mtgirl wrote:Friends don't let friends drink BAD BEER ! :D

I agree..PBR? What the...? Anyway looked like a great time! Silly boys...ahem..I mean men. ;)
Who is John Galt?
TalusMonkey
Trip Reports (33)

Post by TalusMonkey »

sunshine,

PBR was fine for jcwhite and I. But if you had been there, we would have brought whipped cream, of course! ;)
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Don't knock the PBR. It's the quintessential Colorado Wintertime treat.
Where ever you are... There you are.
sunshine1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sunshine1 »

TalusMonkey wrote:sunshine,

PBR was fine for jcwhite and I. But if you had been there, we would have brought whipped cream, of course! ;)
Oh my... :oops: And I thought all that white stuff WAS whipped cream? Who knew?
Last edited by sunshine1 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who is John Galt?
sunshine1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sunshine1 »

Cruiser wrote:Don't knock the PBR. It's the quintessential Colorado Wintertime treat.
A wintertime treat? In who's winter? Puuuhhlease. I drank that on spring break one year...never again.
Who is John Galt?
Hiking Mike
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiking Mike »

Where were you guys (Lakewood Heights)? I don't know of any nice hills in the immediate vicinity of 6th and Kipling. There's a long, thin park called Sunset Park or something with some little jumps for dirtbikes on its Kipling side. Is that where you were?

I just shoveled all day. My dad is practically obsessive compulsive when it comes to shoveling (all the concrete around the house) and the plow had to go the other side of the street becasue of some abandoned cars, so we had to dig out to its path. I think it would have been a long walk had I attempted it. :)
...And my memory shall serve me in the way that memories do:
To conjure bygone times, and shine them bright anew,
To erase the strain of effort from faces of the past,
And resurrect slight triumphs as glories unsurpassed...