Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Forum Look

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: New Forum Look

Postby TheOtherIndian » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:48 am

Bill, the new layout makes it look slick. I feel the TR section would look fantastic with this interface. However, the only issue I have is that individual posts are not demarcated well, the borders are all too light for any use and the demarcation between the signatures and the posts are very faded too. This makes the whole page looks like a bunch of lines thrown together.

I can get used to it, but just putting it out there.
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:19 pm

jaypeak88 wrote:Hi Bill,

When you changed the forum to the new layout last night, I opted to keep the old version (ProSilver?) because I was more used to it. I went to log onto my account this morning, and while I could navigate the entire 14ers website, I couldn't get into the forum. I'm getting a message that says there is a ProSilver error.

I am posting this through an old account I used to use before I moved to Colorado. Would you be able to go into my current account (RJansen77), and change my forum settings from ProSilver to the new version? I would, but like I said I can't access the forum, and thus I don't think I can change my preferences.

Thanks so much for your help!

RJansen77 (Robert)

prosilver fixed!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:20 pm

TheOtherIndian wrote:Bill, the new layout makes it look slick. I feel the TR section would look fantastic with this interface. However, the only issue I have is that individual posts are not demarcated well, the borders are all too light for any use and the demarcation between the signatures and the posts are very faded too. This makes the whole page looks like a bunch of lines thrown together.

I can get used to it, but just putting it out there.

Maybe I'll dry to darken the background slightly.
thanks

Postby MtnClimber82 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:53 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Maybe I'll dry to darken the background slightly.
thanks

If you could darken the area where something has been quoted as well as the background (different colors?) I think that would help a lot too.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:22 pm

I darkened the block quotes and made the page background slightly darker.

Definitely makes it easier to see the break between posts

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:58 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Bill, for my 0.000002c worth, I feel the new look has taken away the distinctive appearance of 14ers.com and has made it look like many of the other websites. It also takes some getting usd to. Sorry, but figured you'd like to have all the opinions, and honest ones.

Jim, thanks for the honest feedback!

In addition to the functionality benefits, one of the reasons I changed the forum format was because the old "prosilver" style is the most widely-used style for phpBB-based forums. I'm also trying to make the normal and mobile versions of the site more similar and this new forum format helps.

In the new style, I still need to tweak some of the formatting and use a couple of the old prosilver colors so it meshes with the rest of the site.

Also, don't forget that you can switch back to "prosilver" at any time, in User Control Panel.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:04 pm

George James wrote:LOVE that the lists are less prominent.

Me too.
It reduces the amount of dead whitespace since the checklist links often made a poster area longer than it had to be.

Postby sandy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Nice job Bill!

Postby Palmyra J » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Yo, Bill, you must be happy to hear positive feed back...no?

I like the new format. Keep it coming. Easier to post, easier to access new information. Will any of that help a flatlander get into shape prior to July? Nope, its all up to me!

Cheers!

Postby Mark A Steiner » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:16 pm

For may part, I'm not fussy. We're all blessed to have Bill maintain the site. Good information still available, and that doesn't change
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby TK » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:43 am

Looks good so far. I play around with a lot of accessibility software do some 508 testing on sites I really like. Keyboard navigation is easier in this forum, but I haven't figured out how to get a screen reader to read the body of a message yet. That's a common issue in many forums, and isn't specific to 14ers. I'll have to ask some colleagues how they manage this.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby d_baker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:49 pm

I'm indifferent to the changes.
I think the removal of the checklists from underneath our avatars was a good move; that should stop the debate/comments that comes up about users' (ego)checklist . My ego has already gotten over the fact that my checklist is not on display.

Maybe my one complaint is the pop-up for the "jump to" on the bottom right hand corner. When I go to click next page or go to a specific page within the forum, that thing just jumps up and commands my attention! Even though I don't want to give it attention, but my cursor thing sometimes goes over that when moving it around.
Can those specific pop-ups be blocked without stopping the pop-ups of others? For instance the homepage forum pop-ups, which I like to have so I can "preview" comments without entering the actual topic. Make sense?
The pop-ups for the bar above (e.g., 14ers; Routes; Trip Reports; etc) is kind of annoying at times too.

Thanks Bill for keeping us non-geek computer people on our toes.

Edit: And oh yeah, why in the pop-up window of my profile do I see "2 unread pm's sent" displayed while in my inbox view, it shows all messages I've sent as being read? It's done this for a while.

PreviousNext