San Juan backpacking recs

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Re: San Juan backpacking recs

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

I think the biggest bang for your buck is to take the alpine loop north of silverton, TONs of cool stuff all over the place with easy hikes like the Mary lakes. Highland mary lakes are awesome and here is lost lake, not much cover from T storms at lost, but at the lower lakes there are plenty of options.

alpineloop.com
Attachments
lost lake
lost lake
226904_1058692837509_1531534805_30159934_6164_n.jpg (37.65 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Climb up Pints down
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Biggest bang for your buck would be to hike into Ice Lakes and camp near Island Lake.

Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

PaliKona wrote:I will check all these out, thank you for the suggestions.
In looking at the maps...what about backpacking into Vestal Basin from Molas Pass? How long is that? Looks like the return trip back up from the Animas is a pain, but...
Also, while in the basin, how hard is it to hike Peak 3? I've seen photos of Storm King Peak from that location that blow me away, not to mention the Grenadiers.
Vestal Basin is a great option, though probably longer and tougher than you were originally hoping for. I think it's 3-4 miles (and 40+ switchbacks!) from the pass down to the river, and 3ish miles up to the Beaver Ponds and the Vestal turnoff. From there it's a fairly burly user trail the last couple miles up to the lower campsites in the basin (I'd recommend soldiering on another 15 minutes to better campsites above the ones even with the Vestal-Arrow saddle). So maybe 8-9 miles total to get in there from Molas, one way?

Last 4th of July, a friend and I hiked up to the top of Point 12,931 just west of Peak 3, in hopes of seeing the fireworks in Silverton (couldn't see from there - we only saw the reflections of the fireworks on the clouds). The upper half of the slope from the basin to the ridge was pretty loose with flat, plate-y rocks, but manageable. I'd guess a route up Peak 3 would be similar.

A trip into Vestal would be quite a bit more difficult than the Highland Marys area, and probably harder than Ice Lakes Basin, though I haven't been up in there yet. Ice Lakes is obviously spectacular, as is Vestal Basin. I'd say Highland Marys is a little less scenic than the other two, but still very beautiful.
The only time I lower the bar is après
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

I guess i was talking about all the side hikes off of the alpine loop if you have a 4wd, it is endless. But yeah if you want one place in the san juans that will blow the doors off, ice lakes is your spot. Just make sure you see them in the full on sunshine. the color is incredible
Attachments
decent..
decent..
208796_1031862566769_1531534805_30086404_8142_n.jpg (62.75 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Climb up Pints down
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

All amazing ideas.

What about the Blue Lakes near Dallas Peak...is that a hike in or a 4wd road? I don't know the area well and can't tell from the map.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

There is a really cool new Falcon guide out about 'Touring Colorado Hot Springs.' I think there looks to be a nice undeveloped pool to hike to in the San Juans that you could backpack to. Get the book for more info.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

My plans changed a bit for late July - my east coast friend wants to do a San Juan 14er. I'm thinking Handies or Sneffels. He's in good shape and hikes with me a lot when he's out here, but hasn't done a 14er and coming from sea level will take it's toll I'm sure.

We're planning on being in T-ride for 2-3 days, and also driving around to the Silverton area, and out to Lake City.
Which is more scenic and stunningly beautiful? Is Sneffles likely a bit too much?
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

PaliKona wrote:Which is more scenic and stunningly beautiful? Is Sneffles likely a bit too much?
My 60 year-old Dad with bad knees/back/shoulders/etc made it up Sneffels a couple days after leaving sea level. Handies has some of the best views of any 14er IMO and American Basin is gorgeous. While you won't be disappointed in either, Sneffels is the superior mountain (again, IMO) and has comparable views and Yankee Boy is amazing in its own right.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

I guess I'd add Uncompadre as well to the list...

We'll camp the night before so which area is nicest? American Basin?

BTW, that's an awesome pic with you and your Dad! Good for him!