Ebright Azimuth, Delaware, 448'

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Ebright Azimuth, Delaware, 448'

Post by schrund »

It was with great excitement that I identified the location on the map, the 448' zenith of Delaware Alpinism, the first State in the Union and noteworthy mountaineering desination. At the roadside trailhead I was unsure of my direction as I neglected to bring my navigation tools which I left in Colorado. With bold ambitions I set out into the back country, and 4 seconds later I arrived. The 448' summit of Ebright Azimuth, Delaware. Earlier in life I had long drivin past this mecca of the East Coast, unaware of just what I had been missing. An early pioneer of the area obviously knew the societal value of this geopgraphic anomaly and erected what appears to be an historic fire watch tower on the summit. If you ever have the ambition and drive to get here you should, but be sure to hire a lcoal guide as the route is challenging.
Attachments
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2012.JPG (119.3 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Ebright Azimuth, Delaware, 448'

Post by CO Native »

Glad to see you had on your expedition sponor's jacket and got their logo into the summit shot. I assume the blurriness of the image is due to the high altitude winds that plague such exposed summits, or is it due to the low light conditions from getting an alpine start and arriving at the summit just before dawn? :D

Congrats on your success.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
AndYouSeeMe
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 209 25
Trip Reports (23)

Post by AndYouSeeMe »

Very inspiring! Great work. :)
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Reminds me of the death march that is Mt. Sunflower! :D
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

BIG DAY on Ebright Azimuth!!!!!
DUDE GOES HUGE in Delaware!!!!
EPIC GRAVITY DEFYING ASCENT!!!!
LIVES TO TELL STORY!!!!

Congrats on the Delaware highpoint! :mrgreen: =D> :bow: :YY :iluvbeer:
May I have your autograph?? [-o< :bow:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Glad to see that you had both feet on the ground. While state highpointers are laid back about this rule and treat it more like football (if any part of your body comes close to the highpoint you can count it), the county HP dudes are quite adamant that you must have your vehicle come to a complete stop, open your door, and have both feet firmly planted on the ground. Good thing the 14er's rules are not in effect: you would have had to descend to 2600 feet below sea level before beginning your ascent to the Azimuth!
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Did the lady across the street come out and offer you lemonade and want to talk about your successful expedition to the lofty summit? :D
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

As someone who is finding himself effectively marooned on the eastern shore of Maryland for an indefinite length of time, I might be the only person who replies in this thread with genuine appreciation.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

I actually grew up in the "highlands" of Delaware not too far from the highpoint so I appreciate his accomplishment. :D