Photo Sharing Website

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Photo Sharing Website

Post by mts4602 »

I'm looking for a website to share my photos online, and add just one more way to preserve them.

I know there are a ton out there that I see on here all the time, so I'm looking for some recommendations. Some features that would be nice are 1) Good organization features for albums, 2) Easy to click between pics, and 3) an I-phone App to post pics online (not necessary but would be nice).

Thanks!

Matt
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Photo Sharing Website

Post by geojed »

I prefer Picasa. Very easy to upload and share w/ others. Very cheap for the strorage space. 1GB=Free, 5GB for $5/yr. I've been a Flickr user for several years but I am now transitioning to Picasa.
Last edited by geojed on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I've used Flickr, photobucket and Picasa, and vastly prefer Picasa. The software takes a bit of getting used to, but once you grasp the basics it's easy.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I have been using Picasa, and it's working great for me so far. It integrates well with Blogger as well, if you are into that sort of thing. Works well with my Android phone, although I have not used it with an iPhone.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prestone818 »

was big into photobucket early in the day. also have used picasa and flickr. they all work fine. depends on how you want to share them. if your main interest is posting on forums i would go with photobucket, i think their setup is easier. if you want to share through emails, i would go with picasa. as for flickr...idk maybe more for giving someone your link to view all of your pictures. picasa is more fluid i think.

i have gotten away from using these sites and really just do facebook most of the time.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

A am moving away from Facebook because of a couple of reasons:
1) They compress your images and resize them. The quality is terrible, even on "high quality" which seems to make little difference.
2) no way to get a full screen sized photo from facebook.

With Picasa people can view full screen and even download the origional file if they want.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prestone818 »

djkest wrote:A am moving away from Facebook because of a couple of reasons:
1) They compress your images and resize them. The quality is terrible, even on "high quality" which seems to make little difference.
2) no way to get a full screen sized photo from facebook.

With Picasa people can view full screen and even download the origional file if they want.
facebook has had an upload hi-res feature for some time now. they will also allow you to download the pic and recently allow you to view in fullscreen. both are listed in options under the picture. no comment on the quality of pics. i have been getting away from fb this year. will probably find myself using these sites again.

if your willing to use some coin, snugmug looks pretty cool. probably a better free option out there somewhere.
Leigh
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Leigh »

prestone818 wrote: if your willing to use some coin, snugmug looks pretty cool. probably a better free option out there somewhere.
I'm a big fan of smugmug, have been using them for about 4 years now. The basic rate is $40/year, but you can get a discount code from any current member to save a few bucks (PM me if interested) I consider this my backup system as well, since I've had so many hard drive failures ](*,)

You can create your own categories (galleries) and albums within the galleries, set privacy settings, and best of all, you have your own url so it's really easy to bookmark and remember. There is ample caption space to create trip reports, some integration with Facebook. I'm not sure about the iPhone integration but I would not be surprised - they do a good job at keeping current on integration, such as with Facebook.

http://leighwilson.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

I use Summitpost as my primary hosting site...although the organization for strictly viewing photos is a little annoying.
My secondary hosting site is Panoramio...my photos are on Google Earth too

Both are free
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"