Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski/bike rig

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Ski/bike rig

Postby lodgling » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:27 pm

Since it is the time of year of gated, dry roads to THs, I thought I'd share a ski/bike rig I used this past weekend with some success.

Materials: 3 orange ski straps, 1 short bungee, 1 long bungee.

The obligatory Yankee Boy road shot:
Bike.JPG
Bike.JPG (75.47 KiB) Viewed 784 times

Note the boots attached to skis, bindings in tour mode to allow room for pedaling and full water bottles inside boots:
Front view.JPG
Front view.JPG (275.69 KiB) Viewed 786 times

Ski straps at front, middle and back of skis. Long bungee at seat post, short bungee to hold boots in "tour" position.

The views were good . .
Summit Photo.JPG
Summit Photo.JPG (333.22 KiB) Viewed 783 times

. . . the steep skiing not so much and the easy bike ride down definitely worth the challenging ride up. I learned from the bumpy ride down that some sort of padding should be added at the front stem to keep the skis from banging the top of the front fork. Happy riding!

Genius!

Postby rangercarl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:35 pm

Very impressive. What did you end up skiing?

Re: Ski/bike rig

Postby Elliot » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Nice Rig! Im also interested in the ski conditions of sneffels and other 13ers in the basin.

Thanks in advance.

Postby Carl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Any time you can bungee and strap a bunch of a ski gear on your bike and none of it falls into your front spokes while you're cruising downhill I'd say it's a success. If you decide you need to add storage for overnight trips, this gem of a carrier might be on the market (I agreed to sell to Bean for $20 but he hasn't picked it up):

Postby Bean » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Carl wrote:Any time you can bungee and strap a bunch of a ski gear on your bike and none of it falls into your front spokes while you're cruising downhill I'd say it's a success. If you decide you need to add storage for overnight trips, this gem of a carrier might be on the market (I agreed to sell to Bean for $20 but he hasn't picked it up)

I'm getting over to Golden fairly regularly these days so should be able to get it sooner than later. If nothing else I'll be running over there for dinner sometime in the next couple weeks. Haven't been thinking about the "ski" part of things too much lately.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby lodgling » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Re: Sneffels ski conditions -- with a few well-placed jump turns, some "Class 4 billygoating," an upclimb and a climb across a rib, I was able to cobble together a summit ski of Sneffels. Not exactly prime conditions.
S face drawing.JPG
S face drawing.JPG (125.17 KiB) Viewed 478 times

The problem area is through the cliff band circled in red. I couldn't find anything thru here that didn't require a brief (10-30ft) downclimb. I found a good, suprisingly steep route up (red arrow), but I decided on an easier route down closer to lavender col because of snow conditions on the high face (i.e. breakable crust on top of powder snow on top of refrozen on 45-50 slope) and the fact that my whippet basket disappeared on the first few turns. Close inspection of the line circled in green confirmed it was about a ski width for much of it.

This unique perspective of the S chutes (unique because most people don't mistakenly climb the wrong ridge in the dark -- oops) shows the current upper face problems in getting over to the line circled in green.
From ridge.JPG
From ridge.JPG (239.83 KiB) Viewed 477 times

Generally, there is not much snow in that basin on anything remotely southerly facing. N faces look OK, but I saw some recent naturals. If you are on the front range, I would table your plans for big lines in this area for another season. But that may just be my day-one-post-solo-epic bitterness talking.

Carl, I am in the market for a carrier, but my plans for its contents (small child) probably takes yours off the list of possibles. Oh, and I should add that the boots (plus empty water bottles) went on the backpack for the trip down so as to eliminate some potential front spokes issues Carl mentions.

Postby Elliot » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks for the beta