Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Safaris around Kilimanjaro

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Safaris around Kilimanjaro

Postby pkastler » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:52 pm

I'm thinking about climbing Kilimanjaro in summer of 2007. I've been looking through the posts about climbing Kilimanjaro, all of which have been extremely helpful. I was wondering if anyone did a safari after climbing? If so, where do you recommend going (serengeti, ngorongoro, etc.) and what guide company?

Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:04 pm

The general safari circuit is Lake Manyara, Serengeti, and Ngorongoro Crater. Generally you spend one day driving out to the parks and visit Manyara in the afternoon/evening and then do the next 2 parks over the next 2 days. Day 4 you would drive back to your hotel.

4 days may not sound like much but believe me it will be. It gets pretty overwhelming at a certain point and even though it's part of the trip of a lifetime at a certain point you just can't get excited about another zebra.

I think my safari was run through Lion Safaris International but there are a lot of companies. Talk to your Kili outfitter for recommendations.

One other thing, if they mention staying the night in 'mosquito town' (almost guaranteed you will since it's closest to Manyara) be sure to find your bug spray before you get there. I can't remember the actual name of the town but they'll probably know what you mean.

Postby Aubrey » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:56 pm

Hell, yeah. My wife and I also want to attach some sort of safari to the end of our climb in Sept '07 ... because it'd be cool, and while we're there, and after spending 3-4k on airfare alone, we might as well, eh? I guess I just figured we'd go with a package of some sort ... maybe through our guide service. I guess this part of the trip has been a secondary thought. But perhaps we should start investigating as you are.

Talk about "upselling," this is just the "ching" on top of the "chah" ... eeeek! And I thought this would be a relatively inexpensive trip.

Postby MtHurd » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:12 am

I wasn't impressed with Lake Manyara. I would recommend Ngorogoro Crater and Terengeri National Park. Whatever you do, tell your guides not to stop at the roadside souvenir stands, they are big time traps. 2 or 3 days is plenty in my opinion. I didn't go to the Serengeti so I can't give any feedback on that but I'm guessing it is similar to the Terengeri. Most of the Serengeti is in Kenya I do believe. My dad has done Safari's in both Tanzania and Kenya and he said the Kenyan safaris are better.

Check to see if summer is the rainy season, you don't want to climb Kili then unless you want a ton of snow to impede your progress. I went at the beginning of October which is dry season and there was still some snow fall on the mountain but not bad. Your safaris won't be green but I think that is a good tradeoff for good weather on Kili.

Postby mtnmike » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:18 am

I did the Kili climb & safari as a package through Alpine Ascents, and the 4-day safari was similar to those described in this thread. After coming off the mountain and spending a night in Arusha, we did one day each in Terengeri, Lake Manyara, Ngorogoro and Sergengeti. The last day in the Serengeti was a bit short and we took a bush plane back to Arusha so we could catch flights out that night. Flying back over all these parks at low altitude was one of the coolest parts of the whole thing! Each night during the safari was spent in some pretty nice lodging within each park. Jon F is right....3 days is plenty to experience the safari. My personal favorite was Ngorogoro, just because of the sheer magnitude and beauty of the place, even without the wildlife (which was plentiful). Also, the point above about skipping the roadside souvenier stands is spot-on. Do it once maybe, but then keep things moving along.

Enjoy it -- any way you look at it, Kili and the safari are an unforgettable experience!
mtnMike
http://www.fourteeners.org

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs