McIntyre Hills ^^^^?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

McIntyre Hills ^^^^?

Post by JE242 »

I've been wanting to explore this area for a while, and I will have 3 days (sat-mon) to finally do it. I'm looking for any suggestions/info on routes/gultches to avoid or seek out. I was planning on entering 5 points gultch from 5 points rec area and heading "up", but from there, I have no plan other than to move safely and smart and not get broke or lost, as I will be hiking solo. All thoughts and/or suggetions are greatly appreciated. -j
SuperPolok
14ers: 58 
13ers: 245
Trip Reports (2)

Re: McIntyre Hills ^^^^?

Post by SuperPolok »

This is an area I've been interested in exploring as well. Fremont County has some great, lesser traveled areas.

Here's a link to one hike you might want to consider: http://www.denverpost.com/hiking/ci_4660342

And here's a link to another person's experience: http://colomtnclimb.freehosting.net/mcintyre.htm

This is, as the first link notes, mountain lion country so be careful and bring a friend if you can. And certainly post a TR of your trip when you get back! You know there would at least be ONE interested party. ME! :mrgreen:
Steve Knapp
14ers: 57 
13ers: 395
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Steve Knapp »

Cool, I've never heard anyone mention an interest in this area. Good for you, it is certainly the road less travelled. I've spent some time there this past winter climbing a variety of Fremont county peaks. There are many ranked peaks within the WSA if you are into peakbagging. I have not gone up Five Points gulch but it would be a good access point. If you park there be advised it is an Arkansas Headwaters fee area.

This is rugged country: steep, rocky, covered in juniper, shrubs, and cactus with some ponderosa above 7500'. You'll want to stick to the gulches where possible for easier travel. It is a dry area, be prepared for that and carry plenty of water. Though with the storm down there today there may be some resisidual snow left on shady higher slopes. You won't run into a single person once you get away from Hwy 50. The place has it charms for those that can appreciate such things. Have fun!
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JE242 »

Much thanks for the responses. This gives me a bit more to go on. Steve, do you know if there's overnight parking @ the fee area pull-offs?
Also wondering if the snow will be mostly melted out by Sat. I love snow, but need a snowgear-free trip. The other areas I was considering were Browns Canyon or Bever Creek Research Area. Something low and dry, preferablly with the aroma of juniper.
Steve Knapp
14ers: 57 
13ers: 395
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Steve Knapp »

I think you can park overnight, but it might be up to $7 per day parked there. The headwaters has a website and you could probably call to inquire. I have parked along the river on Hwy 50 for a half day hike with no issues and no fee, not sure how that would work for three days though.

I'll bet most of the snow melts by Saturday so you should be fine. Here's a webcam I use for that area. Fox Meadows cam at 7900' 38.303N, 105.349W. Somewhere SW of Curley Peak. This area had no snow at all before this storm and should go fast. It's also 2000' feet higher there than the Arkansas River and most of the area you'd be hiking in, so even less snow lower down. It's good to see some beneficial moisture in a normally parched area.

http://www.dickgilbert.com/colocam-canoncity2.htm
ClimbStewart
14ers: 48 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbStewart »

I agree with Steve. I've climbed a bunch of the peaks. Don't be fooled into thinking they're easy. Expect lots of bush whacking, route finding dilemmas, steep loose slopes, and, while it's still early, rattlesnakes. Best not to approach from US 50 since the slopes are steep, long, and loose. Go from Copper Gulch Road. Poverty Mountain, one of the few ranked peaks in the range that is named, is a good one to start with.