Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Like a soap opera

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Like a soap opera

Postby mount_quandary » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:22 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Lol

Who's our current Luke and Laura?

-Scorpio

This cracked me up =D> that you watched Luke & Laura and you probably scheduled your class's around this whole saga!! Classic all the way around :D
Hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you're not afraid of dying, don't be scared just enjoy the ride!

Postby Mel McKinney » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:25 am

cats.jpg
cats.jpg (38.09 KiB) Viewed 748 times

Completely unrelated, but I saw this version of an earlier post on Facebook and it made me laugh out loud. Boy, the things those two crazy cats say. :roll:
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby DeucesWild » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:18 am

Mel McKinney wrote:Completely unrelated, but I saw this version of an earlier post on Facebook and it made me laugh out loud. Boy, the things those two crazy cats say.

Weird! My friend's cat once talked him down from a bad acid trip.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby Mel McKinney » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:43 pm

[img]
mtn%20lion2.jpg
[/img]

Spotted east of Leadville recently.
Attachments
mtn lion2.jpg
mtn lion2.jpg (78 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:01 pm

If I see you without that bear to protect you!
Mel McKinney wrote:Image
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby DeucesWild » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:31 am

Another 14ers.com mystery:

How is Jay521 always the first to comment on an anna TR? Sometimes before the report is even posted.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

Postby d_baker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:37 am

DeucesWild wrote:Another 14ers.com mystery:

Who is The Deuce? :)

Postby d_baker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:42 am

anna wrote: Cue the corny soap opera music ...

Postby DeucesWild » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:46 am

d_baker wrote:
DeucesWild wrote:Another 14ers.com mystery:

Who is The Deuce? :)

Bruce Anselm Dougherty, Esquire.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

Postby painless4u2 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:30 pm

An Epic Report by Epic Mountain Men:
Please be aware that the following report was done by professional, real mountaineers and as such no attempt should be made, no matter how tempting, to duplicate such feats unless done by qualified real men. Ordinary “14er” tourists need not consider such things.
It has been decided to attempt all the 14ers the only real way, and that is from sea level to summit, barefoot, and in winter, with a ski descent. Mere mortals can simply drive up to any given mountain and ascend the 3000’ and call it a day, but really, have they truly climbed a 14,000’ peak? I think not. Obviously, new profiles must be created to reflect such accomplishments, to be posted at the avatar name. I’m arranging this with Bill, and the sooner the better!
SO, from what ocean to which summit? Due to the gradual altitude climb and lack of intervening mountain ranges, it was decided the Texas coast would be the preferable starting point, specifically Galveston Island. And the first summit must be my favorite peak, Mt. Bross. Since Bross has some private property considerations, I chose to bring along someone imminently qualified to determine legality issues and other esoteric rules and regulations, my dear friend godThomas. Also joining us as our standing alpha male and premier mountaineer, dancewithmoonshine.
As we begin our journey of 1100 miles (45 days before winter) we, of course garnered a few stares as our packs are loaded with skis and ice axes in rather warm Texas. Being Texans, they would have a difficult time understanding such things and knowing they are in the presence of greatness. The barefoot approach does have its shortcomings on this portion of our climb, as the asphalt does get a little hot and is somewhat rough to our feet. We take such things in stride, and consider it simply proper conditioning for the rough rock of Bross. We did not take any pictures of this portion of our hike, as, after all, it is Texas. Same with New Mexico. Poor dolts that have to live in such places, makes me glad I live in the Springs now, and am a real Coloradoan (after my move from New Jersey, of course).
Dancewithmoonshine took some outstanding photos of our climb up Bross, except there was such a dense fog over the entire mountain all the pictures appear as grey blanks, so we didn’t post any. Needless to say, we all summited Bross without difficulty, once godThomas determined where we could legally walk. This, of course, prevented us from actually reaching the true summit, but since it was in visual range we decided it was a successful climb. We met die4pc on our way down, who was busying himself shooting marmots.
We descended on skis without problem, except for the loss of several of our toes due to frostbite. In fact, our feet will probably require amputation, so we will be somewhat delayed for our return to Galveston as we recuperate in a local hospital. All in all an epic climb!
EpicDude
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Postby Waggs » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:51 pm

painless4u2 wrote:An Epic Report by Epic Mountain Men:
Please be aware that the following report was done by professional, real mountaineers and as such no attempt should be made, no matter how tempting, to duplicate such feats unless done by qualified real men. Ordinary “14er” tourists need not consider such things.

<snip>

We descended on skis without problem, except for the loss of several of our toes due to frostbite. In fact, our feet will probably require amputation, so we will be somewhat delayed for our return to Galveston as we recuperate in a local hospital. All in all an epic climb!
EpicDude

This must have been one of them soapy's destined for the CW network.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby painless4u2 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:42 pm

We may get a slot between "Hillbilly Handfishin" and "Man vs Wild". We're hoping Sly Stallone will agree to play one of the characters. It should be epic!
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

PreviousNext