Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Challenging but safe mountains?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Challenging but safe mountains?

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:25 am

MtnOwl, while I feel honored to have my own personal troll, I wish you were a little better at it. Weak.

Postby aspen12 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:56 am

Mt. Massive, Castle Peak/Conundrum, La Plata, and Huron should all be pretty challenging in length but not too dangerous!!

Postby gonzalj » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:58 am

aspen12 wrote:Mt. Massive, Castle Peak/Conundrum, La Plata, and Huron should all be pretty challenging in length but not too dangerous!!

Huron's definitely the easiest of that group, probably followed by massive & la plata and then castle/conundrum.

Postby djkest » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:49 am

gonzalj wrote:
aspen12 wrote:Mt. Massive, Castle Peak/Conundrum, La Plata, and Huron should all be pretty challenging in length but not too dangerous!!

Huron's definitely the easiest of that group, probably followed by massive & la plata and then castle/conundrum.

I agree with La Plata but Castle/Conundrum can be very treacherous as I saw last year. A lady fell on a snowfield and hurt her leg. Also coming down from the saddle was very sketchy to me.

Belford/Oxford- very challenging physically but little risk of falling. Redcloud/Sunshine- same deal.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby DeucesWild » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:17 am

MntOwl wrote:Make sure to post a trip report, kudos if you can post it before noon on the day of your climb, this keeps you out of the "armchair mountaineer" category, makes you hardcore!

While I can't comment on your "relationship" with andyouseeme, I thought your post pithy. Except I would add, rather than posting before noon, post repeatedly while still on route so that all the armchairs can follow along and see how rad you are. And a TR before you leave the TH seals the deal. WOW! A TR posted from a cell phone! Doesn't get any more hardcore than that.

Oh yeah, I forgot: Make sure all of your posts HAVE LOTS OF CAPITOL LETTERS, EXCLAMATION MARKS AND EMOTICONS. This conveys enthusiasm and downright radness.
Last edited by DeucesWild on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby aspen12 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:27 am

Mt. Columbia and Mt. Harvard would also be pretty challenging. Both around 13 miles.

Postby gonzalj » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 am

djkest wrote:
gonzalj wrote:

I agree with La Plata but Castle/Conundrum can be very treacherous as I saw last year. A lady fell on a snowfield and hurt her leg. Also coming down from the saddle was very sketchy to me.

Belford/Oxford- very challenging physically but little risk of falling. Redcloud/Sunshine- same deal.

I agree with djkest. Castle/conundrum has a lot of loose rock and depending upon how you tackle the ridge up to castle, some exposure & loose rock potential which changes the ballgame a bit. Belford/oxford & redcloud/sunshine I definitely wouldn't worry about exposure, but those hike are steep and will test your legs, lungs, ankles, etc., although I think redcloud/sunshine is a little easier.

Postby fleetmack » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:22 am

I'll use "safe" meaning little exposure and minimal rockfall risk. For challenging I'll use steep and mileage:

Harvard
Belford/Oxford
Holy Cross
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby CO Native » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Holy Cross would be a good one if it weren't for the crazy number of people that get lost coming down that one. Not to mention the people that have simply disappeared.

I agree with the Belford and Oxford recommendation. That's a beautiful route and definitely a physically demanding one. 5800 vertical and 11 miles.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:26 am

fleetmack wrote:I'll use "safe" meaning little exposure and minimal rockfall risk. For challenging I'll use steep and mileage

Using those criteria, the Barr Trail on Pikes Peak is perfect. There's even support available at Barr Camp and the summit.

But it doesn't matter since the original poster is a troll, most likely. Overly-general naive request, followed up by a youtube video of Everest corpses. Not passing the smell test.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby madbuck » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:41 am

Jim Davies wrote: Overly-general naive request

Yes, a list in all of North America -- I loved that! The thread (almost 50 posts!) was heavily focused on Colorado 14ers (makes sense, being the theme of the site) -- yet we hadn't even touched on Alaska and Canada, Mexican volcanoes, the Presidential Range, or other serrac-free climbs in, say, the south.
All this without figuring out where the OP lived, or experience.

Jim Davies wrote:followed up by a youtube video of Everest corpses. Not passing the smell test.

Agreed.

Postby thompsonmike » Sun May 13, 2012 12:19 am

I'm looking for the same thing for my first 14er. I'm headed out to CO (my 2nd favorite state after HI) for a week and a half July 26 - August 6 and I'm going to do Pikes Peak. I've been to the top of Pikes Peak doing the mountain bike tour down and the altitude didn't bother me so I'm hoping I'll still feel fine. If I feel pretty good after that I would like to try Longs Peak. That one looks quite intimidating, especially for someone from WI. If the OP was really looking for a suggestion I would agree with the Barr trail as others have suggested from what I've been reading the last week.

Good Luck!!

PreviousNext