Recommend me a hike for Tomorrow in Boulder

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Recommend me a hike for Tomorrow in Boulder

Post by DaveLanders »

I hiked up Bear Pk via Fern Canyon on Friday. Fern Canyon itself is dry up to the Nebel Horn saddle, but the north ridge
of Bear still has a lot of snow and ice. It wasn't continuous enough for me to put on my microspikes.

Also, there was a sign at the start of the Mallory Cave trail that stated that Mallory Cave is closed indefinitely due
to concerns about humans spreading some kind of fungus that kills the bats. This is apparently a problem in a lot
of caves in the eastern US.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
KNottingham
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KNottingham »

Your subject wording caught my eye. Recommend me a hike?

Shadow Canyon is a good time if you're looking for something near the bubble. Just keep in mind that you're paying for parking if your vehicle is registered elsewhere.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

DaveLanders wrote:Also, there was a sign at the start of the Mallory Cave trail that stated that Mallory Cave is closed indefinitely due
to concerns about humans spreading some kind of fungus that kills the bats. This is apparently a problem in a lot
of caves in the eastern US.
I decided to do Mallory Cave today and the cave is closed, but the trail is still open. You just cannot go within 100 ft of the cave entrance, which given the last 50 feet or so of that area, I don't think many people go all the way up anyway.

Thanks for the all the suggestions! I am probably going to do Bear Peak here very soon. If the views are anything like Mallory Cave, it should be a treat!
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
mountain_man
14ers: 38  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountain_man »

SeracZack wrote: I decided to do Mallory Cave today and the cave is closed, but the trail is still open. You just cannot go within 100 ft of the cave entrance, which given the last 50 feet or so of that area, I don't think many people go all the way up anyway.

Thanks for the all the suggestions! I am probably going to do Bear Peak here very soon. If the views are anything like Mallory Cave, it should be a treat!
The views ontop of Bear Peak are the most extraordinary views within Boulder, and possibly even Boulder County outside of anything in RMNP.

For an easier hike, I actually liked Walker Ranch. It's long, but easy.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Just to confirm..the Mesa TH near Eldo Cyn is a pay lot?
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

PaliKona wrote:Just to confirm..the Mesa TH near Eldo Cyn is a pay lot?
Yes, $5.00 for a day pass or $25.00 for an annual pass if your vehicle is not registered in Boulder county.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Just did the loop from NCAR, up Bear Peak via Fern Canyon, over to South Boulder Peak, down Shadow Canyon (first time on that trail) and back to NCAR via Mesa Trail...wow, what a fun loop and I loved the Shadow Canyon trail, especially the middle section through all the boulders. Beautiful.
Elizabeth37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Elizabeth37 »

How were the trail conditions up Bear and South Boulder? Mud, snow, ice? Are micrspikes needed on top?
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Dry, no need for microspikes. There's one very small patch of snow near the top of Bear and a few small patches on South Boulder.
DoWork
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by DoWork »

PaliKona wrote:Just did the loop from NCAR, up Bear Peak via Fern Canyon, over to South Boulder Peak, down Shadow Canyon (first time on that trail) and back to NCAR via Mesa Trail...wow, what a fun loop and I loved the Shadow Canyon trail, especially the middle section through all the boulders. Beautiful.
I was gonna hit S. Boulder and Bear Peaks from S Mesa the other day and found out that shadow canyon is closed Feb - July for raptor nesting/breeding. I just screwed around on Mesa Trail instead. Is this closure enforced?
"Man who go to bed with itchy butt - wake with smelly finger"
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

DoWork wrote:
PaliKona wrote:Just did the loop from NCAR, up Bear Peak via Fern Canyon, over to South Boulder Peak, down Shadow Canyon (first time on that trail) and back to NCAR via Mesa Trail...wow, what a fun loop and I loved the Shadow Canyon trail, especially the middle section through all the boulders. Beautiful.
I was gonna hit S. Boulder and Bear Peaks from S Mesa the other day and found out that shadow canyon is closed Feb - July for raptor nesting/breeding. I just screwed around on Mesa Trail instead. Is this closure enforced?
The trail itself is open, but the rest of the canyon off the trail is closed.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

While hiking through you could hear a lot of breeding going on