Access to the Loch from Dream Lake

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Access to the Loch from Dream Lake

Post by mts4602 »

Can I get to the Loch right now from Dream Lake instead of coming from the Glacier Gorge TH? The reason I ask is that the trail from Dream lake isn't listed as one of the park's "winter" trails and also last July I ran into a wall of snow on the trail just past Dream lake and couldn't find the trail after that. I just want to make sure before I head that way and get turned around if not possible.

Matt
Don Eberl
14ers: 35  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Access to the Loch from Dream Lake

Post by Don Eberl »

Find the trail on the east side ot dream that goes to Lake Haiyawaha (spelling) and take that over to Glacier Gorge. After a couple of miles, you will run into the trail that will take you up to the Lock.

Hope this helps
Some of it's majic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way.

Jimmy Buffett
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

That trail is normally still snowed in at this time of year. This is such a low snow year that it might be open now,
but I would take an ice ax and maybe crampons if you set on getting to the Loch via this route. Going from Glacier
Gorge trailhead, and using the winter shortcut, is the most expedient way to get to the Loch.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Is the road open to the Bear Lake parking lot?
mountain_man
14ers: 38  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountain_man »

Yes. Minor road construction along the way, no big deal though.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mts4602 »

DaveLanders wrote:That trail is normally still snowed in at this time of year. This is such a low snow year that it might be open now,
but I would take an ice ax and maybe crampons if you set on getting to the Loch via this route. Going from Glacier
Gorge trailhead, and using the winter shortcut, is the most expedient way to get to the Loch.
Thanks! That was exactly what I was concerned about, I knew there was a trail there, but wasn't sure if it was a route normally taken in the winter. The only reason I wanted to go this way was to see the other lakes on the way in, but no big deal.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

The unimproved trail from Haiyaha to Mills Junction is hard to follow for some people(ie: tourists who got lost in that area like 2-3 times last year) but I've never had a problem. I'm sure by now someone has a trench to follow, but look closely for trail signs and as always, bring a map.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!