Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Access to the Loch from Dream Lake

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Access to the Loch from Dream Lake

Postby mts4602 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:32 am

Can I get to the Loch right now from Dream Lake instead of coming from the Glacier Gorge TH? The reason I ask is that the trail from Dream lake isn't listed as one of the park's "winter" trails and also last July I ran into a wall of snow on the trail just past Dream lake and couldn't find the trail after that. I just want to make sure before I head that way and get turned around if not possible.

Matt
Matt

Re: Access to the Loch from Dream Lake

Postby Don Eberl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:42 am

Find the trail on the east side ot dream that goes to Lake Haiyawaha (spelling) and take that over to Glacier Gorge. After a couple of miles, you will run into the trail that will take you up to the Lock.

Hope this helps
Some of it's majic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way.

Jimmy Buffett

Postby DaveLanders » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:20 pm

That trail is normally still snowed in at this time of year. This is such a low snow year that it might be open now,
but I would take an ice ax and maybe crampons if you set on getting to the Loch via this route. Going from Glacier
Gorge trailhead, and using the winter shortcut, is the most expedient way to get to the Loch.

Postby PaliKona » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:10 pm

Is the road open to the Bear Lake parking lot?

Postby mountain_man » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Yes. Minor road construction along the way, no big deal though.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby mts4602 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:10 am

DaveLanders wrote:That trail is normally still snowed in at this time of year. This is such a low snow year that it might be open now,
but I would take an ice ax and maybe crampons if you set on getting to the Loch via this route. Going from Glacier
Gorge trailhead, and using the winter shortcut, is the most expedient way to get to the Loch.

Thanks! That was exactly what I was concerned about, I knew there was a trail there, but wasn't sure if it was a route normally taken in the winter. The only reason I wanted to go this way was to see the other lakes on the way in, but no big deal.
Matt

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:25 pm

The unimproved trail from Haiyaha to Mills Junction is hard to follow for some people(ie: tourists who got lost in that area like 2-3 times last year) but I've never had a problem. I'm sure by now someone has a trench to follow, but look closely for trail signs and as always, bring a map.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: DeCaLibron