Man attacked saved by bear.

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Man attacked saved by bear.

Post by hop2it »

I thought some may be interested in this. Lucky guy to say the least!

http://www.paradisepost.com/news/ci_202 ... ed-by-bear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Re: Man attacked saved by bear.

Post by lordhelmut »

Thats incredible. What a cool bear!
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

You might want to add a little more to the subject line to make it a little clearer. :? :-s
RJansen77
14ers: 52  3  9 
13ers: 6 1
Trip Reports (17)

Post by RJansen77 »

The Article wrote:(The cub) stood up on its hind legs and put its paws up and I got to play patty-cake with it," he said.
:shock: You won't catch me doing that with a bear cub. Regardless, glad to hear he's alright!
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

tmathews wrote:You might want to add a little more to the subject line to make it a little clearer. :? :-s
As a professional journalist, I believe I can offer a more powerful headline:

KIM KARDASHIAN!!!!111!!! TIM TEBOW!!!!111!!! MAYAN CALENDAR!!!!11!!1!!
Bear saves man from mountain lion
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

RJansen77 wrote:
The Article wrote:(The cub) stood up on its hind legs and put its paws up and I got to play patty-cake with it," he said.
:shock: You won't catch me doing that with a bear cub. Regardless, glad to hear he's alright!
yea i read that part, what the heck was he thinking?!
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

RJansen77 wrote:
Grizzly Man came to mind reading that article. Yikes!
Seriously though, what an awesome outcome. There's something you don't read everyday! :D
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

So a naked hiker is attacked by a mountain lion, saved by a bear, and then the bear allows her cub to play patty-cake with the naked bloodied hiker. Hmmmm. Wonder what happened next? Did a Polar bear bring them some ice cold Coke's and they all enjoyed a good laugh?
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

tmathews wrote:You might want to add a little more to the subject line to make it a little clearer. :? :-s
Commas can save lives.

Let's eat Grandpa!
Let's eat, Grandpa!

Lucky guy though, or stupid, or both.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

SeracZack wrote:
Commas can save lives.

Let's eat Grandpa!
Let's eat, Grandpa!

Well, in this case, a comma wouldn't have clarified the content of the article. I think a comma would have made it appear that he was first attacked by a bear, then saved by it.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

tmathews wrote:
SeracZack wrote:
Commas can save lives.

Let's eat Grandpa!
Let's eat, Grandpa!

Well, in this case, a comma wouldn't have clarified the content of the article. I think a comma would have made it appear that he was first attacked by a bear, then saved by it.
Man attacked, saved by bear. To me sounds like he was attacked, but you don't know by what, and then saved by the bear. I get what you are saying though.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

Carl wrote:So a naked hiker is attacked by a mountain lion, saved by a bear, and then the bear allows her cub to play patty-cake with the naked bloodied hiker. Hmmmm. Wonder what happened next? Did a Polar bear bring them some ice cold Coke's and they all enjoyed a good laugh?
No...the hiker mounted his unicorn and flew away.