Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Man attacked saved by bear.

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Man attacked saved by bear.

Postby hop2it » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:42 am

I thought some may be interested in this. Lucky guy to say the least!

http://www.paradisepost.com/news/ci_20269991/man-claims-attack-by-lion-saved-by-bear

Re: Man attacked saved by bear.

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:50 am

Thats incredible. What a cool bear!

Postby tmathews » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:52 am

You might want to add a little more to the subject line to make it a little clearer. :? :-s

Postby RJansen77 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:59 am

The Article wrote:(The cub) stood up on its hind legs and put its paws up and I got to play patty-cake with it," he said.

:shock: You won't catch me doing that with a bear cub. Regardless, glad to hear he's alright!
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:16 am

tmathews wrote:You might want to add a little more to the subject line to make it a little clearer. :? :-s

As a professional journalist, I believe I can offer a more powerful headline:

KIM KARDASHIAN!!!!111!!! TIM TEBOW!!!!111!!! MAYAN CALENDAR!!!!11!!1!!
Bear saves man from mountain lion
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby ajkagy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 am

RJansen77 wrote:
The Article wrote:(The cub) stood up on its hind legs and put its paws up and I got to play patty-cake with it," he said.

:shock: You won't catch me doing that with a bear cub. Regardless, glad to hear he's alright!

yea i read that part, what the heck was he thinking?!
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Mel McKinney » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:26 am

RJansen77 wrote:

Grizzly Man came to mind reading that article. Yikes!
Seriously though, what an awesome outcome. There's something you don't read everyday! :D
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby Carl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 am

So a naked hiker is attacked by a mountain lion, saved by a bear, and then the bear allows her cub to play patty-cake with the naked bloodied hiker. Hmmmm. Wonder what happened next? Did a Polar bear bring them some ice cold Coke's and they all enjoyed a good laugh?

Postby SeracZack » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:32 am

tmathews wrote:You might want to add a little more to the subject line to make it a little clearer. :? :-s

Commas can save lives.

Let's eat Grandpa!
Let's eat, Grandpa!

Lucky guy though, or stupid, or both.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby tmathews » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:35 am

SeracZack wrote:

Commas can save lives.

Let's eat Grandpa!
Let's eat, Grandpa!

Well, in this case, a comma wouldn't have clarified the content of the article. I think a comma would have made it appear that he was first attacked by a bear, then saved by it.

Postby SeracZack » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:43 am

tmathews wrote:
SeracZack wrote:

Commas can save lives.

Let's eat Grandpa!
Let's eat, Grandpa!

Well, in this case, a comma wouldn't have clarified the content of the article. I think a comma would have made it appear that he was first attacked by a bear, then saved by it.

Man attacked, saved by bear. To me sounds like he was attacked, but you don't know by what, and then saved by the bear. I get what you are saying though.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby scalba123 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:57 am

Carl wrote:So a naked hiker is attacked by a mountain lion, saved by a bear, and then the bear allows her cub to play patty-cake with the naked bloodied hiker. Hmmmm. Wonder what happened next? Did a Polar bear bring them some ice cold Coke's and they all enjoyed a good laugh?

No...the hiker mounted his unicorn and flew away.

Next