Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Man attacked saved by bear.

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Man attacked saved by bear.

Postby hop2it » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:42 am

I thought some may be interested in this. Lucky guy to say the least!

http://www.paradisepost.com/news/ci_20269991/man-claims-attack-by-lion-saved-by-bear

Re: Man attacked saved by bear.

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:50 am

Thats incredible. What a cool bear!

Postby tmathews » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:52 am

You might want to add a little more to the subject line to make it a little clearer. :? :-s

Postby RJansen77 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:59 am

The Article wrote:(The cub) stood up on its hind legs and put its paws up and I got to play patty-cake with it," he said.

:shock: You won't catch me doing that with a bear cub. Regardless, glad to hear he's alright!
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:16 am

tmathews wrote:You might want to add a little more to the subject line to make it a little clearer. :? :-s

As a professional journalist, I believe I can offer a more powerful headline:

KIM KARDASHIAN!!!!111!!! TIM TEBOW!!!!111!!! MAYAN CALENDAR!!!!11!!1!!
Bear saves man from mountain lion
Ice and Trail (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby ajkagy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:23 am

RJansen77 wrote:
The Article wrote:(The cub) stood up on its hind legs and put its paws up and I got to play patty-cake with it," he said.

:shock: You won't catch me doing that with a bear cub. Regardless, glad to hear he's alright!

yea i read that part, what the heck was he thinking?!

Postby Mel McKinney » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:26 am

RJansen77 wrote:

Grizzly Man came to mind reading that article. Yikes!
Seriously though, what an awesome outcome. There's something you don't read everyday! :D
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby Carl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:28 am

So a naked hiker is attacked by a mountain lion, saved by a bear, and then the bear allows her cub to play patty-cake with the naked bloodied hiker. Hmmmm. Wonder what happened next? Did a Polar bear bring them some ice cold Coke's and they all enjoyed a good laugh?

Postby SeracZack » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:32 am

tmathews wrote:You might want to add a little more to the subject line to make it a little clearer. :? :-s

Commas can save lives.

Let's eat Grandpa!
Let's eat, Grandpa!

Lucky guy though, or stupid, or both.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby tmathews » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:35 am

SeracZack wrote:

Commas can save lives.

Let's eat Grandpa!
Let's eat, Grandpa!

Well, in this case, a comma wouldn't have clarified the content of the article. I think a comma would have made it appear that he was first attacked by a bear, then saved by it.

Postby SeracZack » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:43 am

tmathews wrote:
SeracZack wrote:

Commas can save lives.

Let's eat Grandpa!
Let's eat, Grandpa!

Well, in this case, a comma wouldn't have clarified the content of the article. I think a comma would have made it appear that he was first attacked by a bear, then saved by it.

Man attacked, saved by bear. To me sounds like he was attacked, but you don't know by what, and then saved by the bear. I get what you are saying though.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby scalba123 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:57 am

Carl wrote:So a naked hiker is attacked by a mountain lion, saved by a bear, and then the bear allows her cub to play patty-cake with the naked bloodied hiker. Hmmmm. Wonder what happened next? Did a Polar bear bring them some ice cold Coke's and they all enjoyed a good laugh?

No...the hiker mounted his unicorn and flew away.

Next