Slot Canyons/Northern AZ/Southern UT

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Slot Canyons/Northern AZ/Southern UT

Post by steelfrog »

This is awesome guys, thanks a bunch! Gives me a lot of stuff to research (which is half the fun!).
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

If you are going to be near Page, AZ, check out lower Antelope. You pay a few bucks but it is worth it. It's a nice easy hike for the kids. We only saw a handfull of people teh day we were there. It's not as popularized as Upper Antelope but a must see if you are in the area.

Upper Antelope is awsome, but zero hiking because you must pay the Navajo to drive you there in the back of a truck for a small price. Worth it. There will be crowds. You have to have patience trying to get photos that are not filled with a bunch of strangers.

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/ This is a great site for information for many of the more well known slots acrossed Southern Utah.

You really should check out one or more of the kelsey guide books for the area. http://kelseyguidebooks.com/
If you are passing through Hanksville in Utah, they sell all of them at the Hollow Mountain store cut into the rock. Pick your poison. I recommend "Non-Technical Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau, 6th Ed. (2011)" as a cover all, but you can get one of the others that specializes in what ever area you decide to spend more time in. You will get far more information than you need for a one day slot hike, but it will set you up for future vactaion ideas.

Hope this post was useful. I admit to only glossing over the other responses, so if any of this was previously stated, sorry for the repeat.

Ed
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
elhombre
14ers: 31 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elhombre »

Brother Steelfrog, my family had a great time on Cathedral Wash. http://arizonahiking.org/component/content/article/80-grand-canyon--marble-canyon/312-cathedral-wash It is right beside the Navajo Bridge as you come out of the Grand Canyon area. It isn't a tight slot like the ones in the San Rafael Swell, but it is still quite nice and dramatic with some basic climbing. No ropes needed. If you are tired and looking for a nice, shorter hike down to the river, this one will treat you right. It also should not require a bunch of driving to get you heading back towards Phoenix. I would also recommend the Kelsey book. The guy is a mad man when it comes to estimated hiking times, but it is a great source of info. God's speed on your Grand Canyon Run.
"You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization — including work, behavioral standards, personal responsibility and all the other basic things that the clever intelligentsia disdain — without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large." Thomas Sowell
Westerngal
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Westerngal »

I like Bull Valley Gorge in Grand Staircase. +1 on Little Wild Horse.