canyonlands

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
apasquel
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (31)

Re: canyonlands

Post by apasquel »

planet54 wrote:It has not been mentioned that you need permits to backpack in Upper Salt Creek and The Needles. It looks like you will have to try and get a permit on a walk-in basis and that could be difficult or improbable. Campsites are designated so you should have your route planned already.
http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/b ... ermits.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No permit required for dayhikes.
Good luck . Consider having a solid alternate plan.

You are right, I obtained permits back in January...and they were filling up back then...
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

Good deal. So what is your route? I didn't want you to be turned away. :D

If you are in Chesler Park, go to the south end and find a way through into a section that has a bunch of tubes or tunnel like passages. We found our way to Virginia Park , back in the 80's before it was closed, but you can still go to the edge and peek in. We also found some pictographs that the Ranger knew nothing about. Good stuff back in there.
Last edited by planet54 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It has not been mentioned that you need permits to backpack in Upper Salt Creek and The Needles
Excellent point. If the permits are taken for Salt Creek, Chessler Park, Druid Arch, etc., the West Fork Salt Creek would make an alternative.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
apasquel
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

planet54 wrote:Good deal. So what is your route? I didn't want you to be turned away. :D

If you are in Chesler Park, go to the south end and find a way through into a section that has a bunch of tubes or tunnel like passages. We found our way to Virginia Park , back in the 80's before it was closed, but you can still go to the edge and peek in. We also found some pictographs that the Ranger knew nothing about. Good stuff back in there.

Good info...we are starting at Squaw campground TH to Chesler Park set up camp and head towads joint trail (Day1)...Day 2 to Druid Arch to Squaw Canyon/camp...Day 3 Squaw Canyon to Angels Arch/Salt Creek (daypacks only) and back to Squaw Canyon This is going to be a 25+ mile day...Day 4 hike out...
Total: 47 miles...
Bkat68
14ers: 28 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Bkat68 »

Hi there!

I'm not sure if you've already settled on a plan, but I've attached my trip report (on my personal blog) from a February backpacking trip in the Needles. We had an awesome time and I'd highly recommend anything on our itinerary, including the Moab Brewery!

Cheers!

http://somewhimsicalsonglyric.blogspot. ... edles.html
Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So ... get on your way.
apasquel
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

Bkat68 wrote:Hi there!

I'm not sure if you've already settled on a plan, but I've attached my trip report (on my personal blog) from a February backpacking trip in the Needles. We had an awesome time and I'd highly recommend anything on our itinerary, including the Moab Brewery!

Cheers!

http://somewhimsicalsonglyric.blogspot. ... edles.html

I like your blog...Yeah, I was planning on traveling on most of the same path you were on...one of you two, if not both are good photographers...
apasquel
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

Thank you guys for your input and help through the forum and PMs...

here is a look at the trip: http://seekingtheburningbush.blogspot.com/
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

Thank you for both of those blogs. We've wanted to camp and hike in that area of Canyonlands and hope to do so by next spring. Thanks for all the info, especially on permits. :D
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")