Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski Resorts Status

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Ski Resorts Status

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:21 am

Be careful where you park this time of year:
http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20120316/NEWS/120319873/1078&ParentProfile=1055
A man who got behind the wheel wearing ski boots caused an accident that damaged nine other vehicles in the parking lot of Arapahoe Basin Sunday.

The man later told sheriff's office deputies he put his car in reverse to back down into the parking lot, but the vehicle became uncontrollable and the brakes wouldn't work.

He hit eight cars in the parking lot and came to rest against a Toyota Four Runner, which was shoved into the eighth car, according to a report from the sheriff's office.

A deputy tested the cars brakes following the accident and found they were working properly. A woman who was driving one of the struck vehicles said she never saw the car's brake light come on.

The driver was cited for careless driving.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby habaceeba » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:43 am

Jim Davies wrote:Be careful where you park this time of year:
http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20120316/NEWS/120319873/1078&ParentProfile=1055
A man who got behind the wheel wearing ski boots caused an accident that damaged nine other vehicles in the parking lot of Arapahoe Basin Sunday.

The man later told sheriff's office deputies he put his car in reverse to back down into the parking lot, but the vehicle became uncontrollable and the brakes wouldn't work.

He hit eight cars in the parking lot and came to rest against a Toyota Four Runner, which was shoved into the eighth car, according to a report from the sheriff's office.

A deputy tested the cars brakes following the accident and found they were working properly. A woman who was driving one of the struck vehicles said she never saw the car's brake light come on.

The driver was cited for careless driving.

Wow! What's crazy is I was at A-Basin on Sunday with my family of noob skiers from Texas. For the first time ever, I moved my RAV4 with ski boots on later in the day. It's not an easy thing to do, but at least I was able to get to the brakes.

Postby gdthomas » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:44 am

gregory_fischer wrote:Thanks for the replies and advice. However, I didn't realize I'd be setting off something of a sh*tstorm. Like I said, I know nothing about the sport; my goal is to get up a peak, not ski down it, but I'm sure my dad will appreciate the advice when deciding if it's worth spending the money to go skiing this year.

~Greg

Don't take it personally. Many threads here turn into shitstorms; it's the nature of the beast.

Postby sjpwarsaw » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:33 pm

jomagam wrote:It really depends on what you want to do. There will be plenty of groomed runs especially greens and blues at any resort. Tree runs will be sketchy and most ungrommed runs will have little rocks and branches. You can use http://www.skifreedeals.com/ski-resorts-colorado.html and get two passes for $58 at Loveland. Add $20 each for rental at Sports Authority and you're still only in double digits.

I skied Loveland Thursday the 8th and it was average. It was my 6th time at Loveland this year and the previous 5 were better skiing. Skiied Copper on Monday and Loveland was better. The skiing condition are better at Loveland then Copper and the runs are shorter on average which might be better for someone just going up for one day and the cost is better too if you can get the 2-for-1 ticket price.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:42 pm

gdthomas wrote:
gregory_fischer wrote:Thanks for the replies and advice. However, I didn't realize I'd be setting off something of a sh*tstorm. Like I said, I know nothing about the sport; my goal is to get up a peak, not ski down it, but I'm sure my dad will appreciate the advice when deciding if it's worth spending the money to go skiing this year.

~Greg

Don't take it personally. Many threads here turn into shitstorms; it's the nature of the beast.

Another reason why I like being outside.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:36 pm

sjpwarsaw wrote:I skied Loveland Thursday the 8th and it was average.

I skied there Wednesday 3/14 and thought conditions were fine for cruising. No powder, of course, but the coverage is still good and the surface conditions were OK, especially after it warmed up a bit in the late morning. We'll be going again tomorrow since it's Subaru weekend and we get to park in the front rows. :mrgreen:
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:53 am

Skied yesterday, all the tree runs are closed for the season, and the "in-between" runs have so much exposed deadfall visible from the lift that I wouldn't want to go in there anyway. A lot the bump runs have rocks and dirt in the ruts. In short, even if this storm today/tomorrow pans out to give us some descent snowfall, you'd still need to ski groomers just to ski stuff that actually has a base underneath... unless you don't mind trashing your skis.

On the plus side, the groomers softened up to nice spring conditions and it was a fun day to ski, its just a little too early to be this melted out and this spring like for like tastes. Also, for spring break, it really wasn't crowded at all!

I stand by my earlier statement regarding closing day in that I really wonder if we're going to make it, but in the mean time if you stick to groomers you can have a nice day out, and its not too crowded either!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Bean » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Echoing CT's comment, things are WAY too melted out for this time of year. Saw an absurd amount of runnels on Saturday, and a bit of dust too. The season that never was looks to be ending quickly.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Loveland was still covered well on Saturday, even in the trees (although it's totally hardpacked). Yesterday looked like a "dust day" here in the Springs, so I wonder if that's going to speed the melting in the near future.

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Conditions here in Colorado sparked a weekend road trip seeking powder:
IMG_2356.jpg
IMG_2356.jpg (66.68 KiB) Viewed 308 times

We found plenty. Go north while you still can!
IMG_2372.jpg
IMG_2372.jpg (98.5 KiB) Viewed 308 times
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby benners » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:04 am

Nice Matt! Wish I were there right now...

Postby benners » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:05 am

Bean wrote:Echoing CT's comment, things are WAY too melted out for this time of year. Saw an absurd amount of runnels on Saturday, and a bit of dust too. The season that never was looks to be ending quickly.

I'm hoping this year turns into a year like 09' where we get lots in April and May. I can hope right? San Juans might be the place to go this spring...

PreviousNext