Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lake City to Ouray in a Honda CRV?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Lake City to Ouray in a Honda CRV?

Postby Tory Wells » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:34 pm

If you value your vehicle, just drive around.

It takes about the same amount of time to drive around as it does to drive either pass, but will save a lot of wear and tear on your car.

And do not attempt Engineer Pass in your CRV, it won't make it.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Tory Wells » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Tony1 wrote:... but how about Engineer?

Hell no. Drive around.

Seriously.

I tried to take my stock Wrangler over Engineer a couple years ago. Never again. [-X
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

-Steve Gladbach

Postby gdthomas » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:12 pm

+1 on not driving Engineer Pass in any of the vehicles mentioned. I've driven all of the roads discussed in a lifted, Unlimited Jeep Rubicon and while the Jeep ate up Engineer Pass, I do not believe you'll enjoy the same experience. Corkscrew is possibly doable but I'd err on the side of taking the road from Animas Forks to Silverton then 550 north to Ouray.

Postby Tony1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Tory Wells wrote:

Hell no. Drive around.

Seriously.

I tried to take my stock Wrangler over Engineer a couple years ago. Never again. [-X

Dang. That sounds intense.

I'll certainly go around if I'm ever down there, I'd only go up the pass for scenery purposes anyway. :) Shouldn't the Lake City side be okay like others have mentioned?

Postby Tory Wells » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:57 pm

Tony1 wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:

Hell no. Drive around.

Seriously.

Shouldn't the Lake City side be okay like others have mentioned?

You betcha. Lake City to about 10k' or so is great dirt road, and then from there to the top of Engineer Pass is not too bad either. I slept on top of the pass and then drove through to Ouray the next morning. I enjoyed seeing all the old mining structures, but the Ouray side of that road sure does suck.

To give you an idea how bad it is....I can run that road far faster than any automobile can drive it. I know because I did. It sucks.

-Steve Gladbach

Postby jeffskio » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks all. And yes I do have the 2005 CRV. Has anyone also done Ophir pass from Ouray area to Telluride?

Postby geojed » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:41 am

I've done Ophir Pass several times and it shouldn't be a problem for your CRV, very doable. Don't even think about trying to do Imogene Pass though. [-X
Last edited by geojed on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby peter303 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:23 am

Several years ago Google Maps said the best way from Gunnison to Durrango was Cinnamon Pass. :)

Postby geojed » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:31 am

peter303 wrote:Several years ago Google Maps said the best way from Gunnison to Durrango was Cinnamon Pass. :)

LOL! :lol:
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby osprey » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:54 am

Agree with Geojed - Ophir Pass is one of the easier passes especially on the Silverton side.

Postby MtHurd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:01 am

geojed wrote:I've done Ophir Pass several times and it shouldn't be a problem for your CRV, very doable. Don't even think about trying to do Imogene Pass though. [-X

I saw a CRV on Imogene Pass near the summit one time and it was moving along just fine.

Postby WalterMitty » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:32 am

As with most things it's less about the arrow than it is about the indian. I did Mineral Creek from Ouray to Engineer Pass and on to Lake City in a stock GMC Yukon. A couple of areas are rated difficult and I did use my skid plates.

http://youtu.be/BBg90j6_zjc

http://youtu.be/8wKHvJPJqog

http://youtu.be/mHIfDbtSi5s

I was feeling confident because I had spent the day with Bill Burke http://www.bb4wa.com/ in Bang's Canyon the previous day.

http://youtu.be/IIxjqB9l9dg

http://youtu.be/z42JrVkT4DA

So I agree with most of the advice here that you should bypass, not so much because of your equipment, but because if you're asking here if your car will make it, you probably need to build up some more experience in the rough stuff.
The “WalterMitty Guarantee™” is in effect. Everything I say makes sense, is true, and is verifiable with three (3) independent sources or you get double your money back!

PreviousNext