Yellowstone/Grand Teton

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Yellowstone/Grand Teton

Post by steelfrog »

If you had one day in the area (in about one week--March 17), what things are open? Staying in Jackson Hole, would like to visit Yellowstone if possible, or Grand Teton; could you all give me one or 2 things to try and do up there? Not skiing.

Many thanks.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton

Post by Tory Wells »

Too bad you've said no to the skiing....I think that would be THE way to explore Yellowstone in winter, but that's just my opinion. Renting a snowmobile might be a viable alternative but seems kind of counter to the goals of a nature-lover.

The problem you're going to run into is most of the roads are closed in Yellowstone in March. You'll have to call to find out how many roads are open but, looking at my park map, it appears that most will be closed for you due to seasonal closures. You'll have better luck getting into Grand Teton from Jackson and I'm sure you could have a lot of fun snowshoeing the trails there. A nice bonus to visiting in March is all the bears will be hibernating so you won't get eaten. :)
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Yellowstone/Grand Teton

Post by steelfrog »

Thanks--ya I knew about the Yellowstone roads; we'll just play it by ear.