Easy Backpack

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Codys14ers
14ers: 26  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Easy Backpack

Post by Codys14ers »

Hey fellow hikers! I am looking for a cool new trail to hike! I would prefer to have something easier, because I will have 9 and 10 year old boys with me. We would love to hike in a few miles to a lake and fish for a day or two. As secluded as possible and within a 3 hour drive from Denver. Thank you all for your help!
"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1913
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Easy Backpack

Post by MtHurd »

I can't help you if you are talking about winter, but if you are talking about summer, Upper Piney Lake Basin near Vail is a good secluded place. I have no idea if there are any fish or not but the stream coming out of it is very nice.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Pear Lake might be a good option, near Emerald Peak (Leadville/Buena Vista). Gorgeous area close to Missouri Mountain. It's far enough to be secluded but close enough I saw one or two families with children making the trek.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Scuba Steve
14ers: 20 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Scuba Steve »

The area around Fancy & Missouri Pass is amazing. Nice hike, lots of lakes great view of the Holy Cross Wilderness.

It's not super secluded but you should be able to get a fair bit of privacy.

Steve-
Codys14ers
14ers: 26  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Codys14ers »

this would be for late spring and throughout the summer. No winter hikes
"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1913
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Obligatory LCW: hike the Goose Creek trail along Lost Creek, camp at the Shafthouse (or earlier), fish in the creek and climb rocks for fun. Good for spring since it's lower elevation and warms up sooner than the high mountains.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com/hikin ... thouse.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
tlerunner
14ers: 27 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tlerunner »

Horseshoe Lake in the Byers Peak Wilderness is a great destination with good fishing for cutthroat trout.

Don't tell anyone else.