Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Where to practice cramponing techniques?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Where to practice cramponing techniques?

Postby TheOtherIndian » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi, can anyone suggest any place to practice cramponing techniques, preferably close to Boulder-Longmont with a short approach? Is there any suitable place in the Indian peaks area? I am a complete noob with crampons. There's always St Mary's but I'm looking for something closer for a lazy Sunday. Thanks.
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Re: Where to practice cramponing techniques?

Postby moneymike » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Mt. Evans has easy road side access to some steep or not so steep slopes that you could practice on. That's my best advice. I live in Colorado Springs, and I taught myself self-arrest techniques on Pikes Peak, on steep slopes just off of the road.
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOInUJEPjOKFCC_7N968Dxw/videos

@the_real_moneymike on Instagram

Re: Where to practice cramponing techniques?

Postby Monte Meals » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:16 pm

I'm not sure about crampons,

but the Millennium Harvest House in Boulder has a really good Friday Afternoon Club with lots of ice.

Plus there are *tons* of opportunities for a single guy to work on his technique ;->

P.S. I STILL owe you $5 and I'm not going to let you forget it! When do you want to climb another 14er?

Monte