Kilimanjaro Questions

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kilimanjaro Questions

Post by davebobk47 »

I was there Jan 2011 and did not have to get a yellow fever shot. It's only required if coming from certain countries/regions. No one ever looked at any kind of shot records the whole time I was there. I did get the typhoid shot and brought anti-malaria meds.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
emcee smith
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (52)

Post by emcee smith »

Was there in Jan 2012, got the yellow fever shot, and the "yellow card" but was never asked to show it. I agree that the recommendations are vague, but better to have it and make the trip then not and risk getting turned away.
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Agree. Just get the yellow fever shot. How awful would it be to travel to Kili and get turned away at the airport b/c you don't have your vaccination card. Granted, we were never asked to show our yellow fever vaccination card last August, but much better to have it than to not IMO.
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

Already reached out to a local clinic to get the Yellow Fever and Twin-Rix shots along with the International Certificate of Vaccination card. I'm glad that I started this post. Great advice, guys. Thanks!
matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

jbchalk wrote:Agree. Just get the yellow fever shot. How awful would it be to travel to Kili and get turned away at the airport b/c you don't have your vaccination card. Granted, we were never asked to show our yellow fever vaccination card last August, but much better to have it than to not IMO.
Agreed - get the shot. Ive been twice and never had to show my card but I cant imagine how bad it would be if I got asked and didnt have it!

Plus - lets be honest and think about the real issue here - do you really want to GET Yellow Fever!?
matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

I posted a TR here if your interested...

1) What there something that you brought on the trip that you wished you'd left behind? Was there something that you did not bring that you felt was needed?
I cant say there was much that I regretted taking. Or anything I missed. What I often tell people is this: Its East Africa. You cant run down to the local Walgreens if you get diahreah and need Immodium! Take what you think you will need - but make sure you take travel sizes - no need for massive quantities of things.
2) How much money did you bring? Did you keep it all in US currency throughout the entire trip or did you convert it into another currency at some point? If so. at what point did you convert and into what type of currency (was it Euros)?
A few important things here. On my second trip I brought like $2000 in cash and this was because I chose not to wire funds to the hotel because it cost them so much to convert it. For leisure I would say $300 will suffice. Change your money AT THE AIRPORT as they will give you the best rate - the hotel will not offer you nearly as good of a rate. It also depends on how much you intend to buy souvenirs. Costs at the hotel: most good meals were around $5, litres of water $3 etc.
Also - most TZ banks NO LONGER TAKE TRAVELLERS CHECKS because I was told "they dont trust US banks" - also if you take $100 bills - you want to take 2006 bills or newer - no folds - no tears - no bent corners etc...get your bank to go in the back room and "dig" some crisp new 100's out for you...
US currency spends well there too but remember things are cheap in Africa so carry 1's and 5's - dont expect to get change for 20's...
3) Are glacier glasses really necessary on this hike?
EYE PROTECTION is essential! I would say YES - I used them
4) What type of energy snacks did you bring? Did something work better than other snacks?
I touched on this in my trip report. At altitude - most things you normally like change. Especially sugary things like Gatorade and GU etc. Definitely take them but for summit night make sure you have other things available - maybe more bland things like peanut butter pretzels etc.
My second trip was unsupported as far as food - but of course we had porters so we brought all of our own food - you probably wont need this. We brought such things as bagels, peanut butter, freeze dried, pretzels, GU, pre-cooked chicken, candy bars, hard candy for the porters to suck on while they hike (they like this), powder gatorade etc
5) Besides the summit, what was the hardest part of the hike?
For me it was eating - always hard for me as Im a really picky eater. I also tend not to be hungry while hiking at altitude.
On my first trip it was altitude sickness and dehydration...

As I tell anyone - respect Kili! The altitude is a bitch and this aint no 14er...
Stay focused - hydrated - and pole pole! Take your time...
If at all possible do some acclimatization hikes...

Any more questions let me know...
ylingli
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ylingli »

Thanks everyone for the tips! I was also wondering about the Yellow Fever, so will definitely get that shot!
I'm doing Kili in June this year, and am currently looking at visas. I've heard that you can get them at the airport on arrival and also at the border crossing (I'm flying into Nairobi and then crossing the border into Tanzania). Did you get your visas in advance? If so, which visa processing service did you use?
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

ylingli wrote: Did you get your visas in advance? If so, which visa processing service did you use?
I've done all mine through Travel Document Systems. Service has been good.

http://www.traveldocs.com
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Got my visa at Kili Airport...no need to get em in advance.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I got my visa at Kili airport also. Having a visa in advance means one less line to wait in while crossing a border. It wasn’t a big deal.

Here is the Tanzania webpage. It looks like they can be bought at any point of entry.

http://www.tanzania.go.tz/visaf.html
http://www.tanzania.go.tz/
2: Visa:

A visa is a permission granted to a foreigner to enter and remain in the United Republic of Tanzania for a specific period of time. A visa is issued to a visitor who intends to enter into Tanzania for the purpose of visit, leisure, holiday, business, health treatment, studies or any other related activities. It is granted on the basis of reciprocity upon application by the would be visitor to United Republic of Tanzania. Visa is applied for and issued at Tanzania Embassies/High commissions abroad or at any entry point to Tanzania. On entering the country, a visitor with a valid visa is given a pass or any other authorization to stay in the country.
Visa fee rates:

Fee rates for Ordinary visa is US $ 50, except for the following Nationals with their specific visa rates in brackets; Pakistan ( US $ 200 ), USA-(US $ 100 ),Ireland ( US $ 100 ), Transit visa is US $ 30,while standard Multiple visa is US $ 100.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
jrock
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrock »

Great thread - I'm signed up to go in August/September 2012 with Nature Discovery. We actually have 2 more spaces with our group! PM me if you want more information.

Another question - what is the best way to prepare for staying so many days at high altitude? I heard that camping at 12,000 ft prior to the trip should do it - any other advice?

thanks!
emcee smith
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (52)

Post by emcee smith »

Acclimitization: Note that I have had good luck going from sea level to CO. I was lucky to be in CO 3 times the month (Nov/Dec) before I left on my trip, and each of those I was up at Loveland Pass or Quandry. I don't know if it helped, but it couldn't have hurt. Take the breathing seriously from the (Machame) gate. Long, deep, and slow. Don't wait until you get "to altitude" for this.

Perhaps the best thing I did to prepare, however, was to play with my gear. At home was the practice packing, up high was layering and delayering. On the summit of Grizzly I spent quite a bit of time figuring out my glove strategy, and finding where I needed to add longer pulls to some of my layers so I could grip with mittoned fingers. Understanding how my new glacier glasses worked with my hats/buff/etc.

You will be layering up and down quite a bit on your trip, sometimes withing minutes of adding, you will take it off, or vice versa.

Keep the questions coming.
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"