Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports
User avatar
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:48 am
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:46 am

Does anyone know if Music is hike/scramble-able from the Deadman Creek (west) side? Anyone have any pictures of the west face? Either from Pico Aislado, or from the summit of Music looking down the west face?

According to my internet research the private land was purchased in 2004, but no trail or access roads were constructed. Of course I will call to see if this area is, indeed, open to the public. Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright

User avatar
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:27 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Postby geojed » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 am

It looks like it could be possible from these photos from SP

Ridge in foreground ascending L-R from valley is West ridge of Music in this pic
http://images.summitpost.org/original/575837.jpg

Ridge in foreground shadow ascending R-L is the West ridge of Music Mtn in this pic
http://images.summitpost.org/original/575915.jpg

Pics are by RobSC on SP on this route page http://www.summitpost.org/pico-asilado-east-side-from-summit-of-tijeras-peak/575836. He may have better pics of Music's West ridge if you contact him.


Here's another pic: http://www.pikespeakphoto.com/sangres/pictures/asilado-music.jpg

Kevin Baker has been in that area a lot and may have pics and beta on that west ridge too.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

User avatar
Posts: 1065
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: PUEBLO

Re: Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Postby sgladbach » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:37 pm

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Does anyone know if Music is hike/scramble-able from the Deadman Creek (west) side?

The trip up Deadman Creek to Deadman lakes is a "Deadfall" classic. The scramble to stay on the trail and wind your way through the downed trees makes this route one tough bugger. It is not a great choice.

According to my internet research the private land was purchased in 2004, but no trail or access roads were constructed. Of course I will call to see if this area is, indeed, open to the public. Anyone have any info on this?

The route is open and legal. The Park Service chose to put the TH several miles below where it might have been placed. Prepare to walk about 2-3 miles up a sandy road before actually beginning the old trail. No new trail has been constructed and the 50 year closure of this access through formerly private property had lead to "Zero" trail maintainnence on the route which appears on the map. Thus, the extreme deadfall.

Thanks!


The east ridge of Music Mountain from Sand Lakes is a classic and is manageable from the 4WD TH as a day hike. As an overnighter, Sand Lakes is a wonderful camping spot (w/ fishing.) I'm not certain how the change to a National Park has affected the fee situation, but there is definitely a backcountry permit station at the top of Music pass as you cross the ridge to enter the park via a drop into Sand Creek.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Re: Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:54 pm

I know its not what you are asking for but we did Marble mountain and attempted Milwaukee from Music Pass and plan on going back that way to get the rest of them. Here are some pics of the east face...
Attachments
P1020600.jpg
P1020600.jpg (341.9 KiB) Viewed 741 times
P1020601.jpg
P1020601.jpg (324.52 KiB) Viewed 741 times
P1020629.jpg
P1020629.jpg (338.77 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

User avatar
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:48 am
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Re: Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:47 pm

sgladbach wrote:
IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Does anyone know if Music is hike/scramble-able from the Deadman Creek (west) side?

The trip up Deadman Creek to Deadman lakes is a "Deadfall" classic. The scramble to stay on the trail and wind your way through the downed trees makes this route one tough bugger. It is not a great choice.

According to my internet research the private land was purchased in 2004, but no trail or access roads were constructed. Of course I will call to see if this area is, indeed, open to the public. Anyone have any info on this?

The route is open and legal. The Park Service chose to put the TH several miles below where it might have been placed. Prepare to walk about 2-3 miles up a sandy road before actually beginning the old trail. No new trail has been constructed and the 50 year closure of this access through formerly private property had lead to "Zero" trail maintainnence on the route which appears on the map. Thus, the extreme deadfall.

Thanks!


The east ridge of Music Mountain from Sand Lakes is a classic and is manageable from the 4WD TH as a day hike. As an overnighter, Sand Lakes is a wonderful camping spot (w/ fishing.) I'm not certain how the change to a National Park has affected the fee situation, but there is definitely a backcountry permit station at the top of Music pass as you cross the ridge to enter the park via a drop into Sand Creek.


Thanks so much Steve. The reason for my questions, was: I was considering trying to camp up along Deadman Creek (if allowed) and try Milwaukee, Pico Aislado, and Pt 13020 A from that side. Avoiding the exposed, "ledge" maneuver on Milwaukee and thought, "Hey, while I'm there...."

The east ridge of Music (from Sand Lakes) was on my list of desired scrambles, but as I said, my mind wandered as I scanned the topo.... I figured if I was going to go through the bushwack and hassle of getting to Milwaukee (and friends) from that side, then maybe I could add another day to my trip and try for Music too.

If camping is not allowed, do you know if Milwaukee is doable as a day trip? The hike in looked long, especially with an overgrown trail.

Great pics, fireonthemountain, thanks for including them.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright

User avatar
Posts: 1065
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: PUEBLO

Re: Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Postby sgladbach » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:07 pm

I have done the traverse from Tierjas to Pico Asilado (and then on to the Un 13er). We gained Tirjas from the east, but as far as the music to Milwaukee portion, I can speak to that. We dropped off Music to the west in a maze of gullies. After attempting to follow the ridge, we descnded several hundred feet into the deadman drainage and regained the ridge by heading directly at milwaukee. Milwaukee was definitely easier on this side. the traverse to asilado went fine, but after nabbing the 13rer, we descended intoCottonwood drainage. I don't remember what it might have been like to descend into deadman, but the topo looks reasonable.

So, aside from the difficulty of backpacking to Deadman Lake, your biggest obstacle would be finding the right gully to lead to the Music summit. they are all loose, but a partner and I manged that area.

Milwaukee Dayhike? I'd say yes from Music Pass TH on the east, probably no on the west.

Backcountry camping is allowed, but you'll need to register w/ the Park service. It is free. If coming from the east, there is a permit station at Music pass. You don't need to drive around. Give them a call to double check rules.

Overnight camping in sand Dunes backcountery.
Free backcountry permits are required for all overnight backpacking trips. Inquire at the Visitor Center. Please note that permits must be obtained in person during Visitor Center hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. summer; 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. fall, spring and winter. Plan to use Leave No Trace guidelines.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

User avatar
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Postby doggler » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:10 pm

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Avoiding the exposed, "ledge" maneuver on Milwaukee and thought, "Hey, while I'm there...."


Awww, come on! Avoiding that is like avoiding the chocolate on a cake.

In all seriousness, that ledge is what makes Milwaukee so...fun.

User avatar
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:04 am
Location: Denver

Re: Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Postby Presto » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:15 pm

y doggler » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:10 pm

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Avoiding the exposed, "ledge" maneuver on Milwaukee and thought, "Hey, while I'm there...."


Awww, come on! Avoiding that is like avoiding the chocolate on a cake.

In all seriousness, that ledge is what makes Milwaukee so...fun.


+1 ... :D We did the traverse from the Cottonwood drainage up to the saddle, then to Milwaukee on to Pico to Unnamed and down into Cottonwood drainage. Very fun day. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Embrace "the ledge", you'll love it! 8)
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Re: Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:29 pm

doggler wrote:
IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Avoiding the exposed, "ledge" maneuver on Milwaukee and thought, "Hey, while I'm there...."


Awww, come on! Avoiding that is like avoiding the chocolate on a cake.

In all seriousness, that ledge is what makes Milwaukee so...fun.



No doubt Sean!! However...when my buddy and I saw this, we stood in awe with a foul smell emanating from our pants :roll:

We had rope and gear but it was above our heads for sure.
Attachments
298087_2501828993439_1484376569_2799022_1131078535_n.jpg
Ridge up Milwaukee
298087_2501828993439_1484376569_2799022_1131078535_n.jpg (108.37 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:09 am

Re: Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Postby kimo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:35 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:...when my buddy and I saw this, we stood in awe...


Whoa...great picture!

Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:05 pm

Re: Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Postby DaveLanders » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:42 pm

The east ridge of Music is a wonderful scramble. If you want to avoid the ledge on Milwaukee, then you can just
come in from Cottonwood Creek on the west (the access is still supposed to be good for 2012; the rules after that
apparently haven't been decided; there is at least one thread about that on here somewhere).

User avatar
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:48 am
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Re: Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:05 am

Thank you everyone. Great information.

And yes, yes, I have thought about how "fun" it would be to cross the "ledge" on Milwaukee...but as one of you brought up, it would also be, "fun" to not spend the remaining part of the day in soiled garments. :)

My hesitation to give the "ledge" a whirl, is reading the accounts of others more experienced than I, having a, "whoa" moment.

I know the footholds are tiny (I was told 1 inch, please tell me it's closer to 2!), but are the handholds really, REALLY, good and plenty? Is it honestly 2 steps across (for a person of 5' 7" stature)? How far apart are the footholds? No foot matching?

DaveLanders wrote:The east ridge of Music is a wonderful scramble. If you want to avoid the ledge on Milwaukee, then you can just
come in from Cottonwood Creek on the west (the access is still supposed to be good for 2012; the rules after that
apparently haven't been decided; there is at least one thread about that on here somewhere).

I had a post asking about ascending Milwaukee from Cottonwood Creek side and the response was that there were cliffs near the summit so, you still had to go through the pass and cross the ledge. Do you know otherwise? Or are you suggesting ascending Pt 13020A from Cottonwood, then following the ridge to Pico Aislado and Milwaukee?

sgladbach wrote:So, aside from the difficulty of backpacking to Deadman Lake, your biggest obstacle would be finding the right gully to lead to the Music summit. they are all loose, but a partner and I manged that area.

How would you rate the loose gullies? class 2+, 3, 4?

And BTW, keep the pictures coming! They're awesome and inspiring!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests