Holy Crap!

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Holy Crap!

Post by Fisching »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJXVfb-byhc

So far, no injury were reported even though there were skiers on the lift. Amazing.
http://www.3news.co.nz/Skiers-video-cap ... fault.aspx

~Greg
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
RJansen77
14ers: 52  3  9 
13ers: 6 1
Trip Reports (17)

Re: Holy Crap!

Post by RJansen77 »

Yup, unbelievable video. Can't imagine what I would have done/thought/said if I had been on the lift and seen that coming towards me!
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Here's a video of the avalanche filmed from someone on the lift:

and one of people being rescued from the lift:
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

Crazyness!!!
Really slow moving snow.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

This is why I don't ride chairlifts.

If God had wanted us to ride chairlifts he would not have given us skins.
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

Wow!
Seems to be moving pretty slow in the video... more like a basalt flow than an avalanche. Like, if you were skiing, I'm pretty sure you could get out of the way, though it would be scary to be on the chairlift. Glad no one was hurt.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.