Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Does anyone know if Music is hike/scramble-able from the Deadman Creek (west) side? Anyone have any pictures of the west face? Either from Pico Aislado, or from the summit of Music looking down the west face?

According to my internet research the private land was purchased in 2004, but no trail or access roads were constructed. Of course I will call to see if this area is, indeed, open to the public. Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Music Mtn from Deadman Creek?

Post by geojed »

It looks like it could be possible from these photos from SP

Ridge in foreground ascending L-R from valley is West ridge of Music in this pic
http://images.summitpost.org/original/575837.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ridge in foreground shadow ascending R-L is the West ridge of Music Mtn in this pic
http://images.summitpost.org/original/575915.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pics are by RobSC on SP on this route page http://www.summitpost.org/pico-asilado- ... eak/575836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. He may have better pics of Music's West ridge if you contact him.

Here's another pic: http://www.pikespeakphoto.com/sangres/p ... -music.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevin Baker has been in that area a lot and may have pics and beta on that west ridge too.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Does anyone know if Music is hike/scramble-able from the Deadman Creek (west) side?

The trip up Deadman Creek to Deadman lakes is a "Deadfall" classic. The scramble to stay on the trail and wind your way through the downed trees makes this route one tough bugger. It is not a great choice.

According to my internet research the private land was purchased in 2004, but no trail or access roads were constructed. Of course I will call to see if this area is, indeed, open to the public. Anyone have any info on this?

The route is open and legal. The Park Service chose to put the TH several miles below where it might have been placed. Prepare to walk about 2-3 miles up a sandy road before actually beginning the old trail. No new trail has been constructed and the 50 year closure of this access through formerly private property had lead to "Zero" trail maintainnence on the route which appears on the map. Thus, the extreme deadfall.

Thanks!
The east ridge of Music Mountain from Sand Lakes is a classic and is manageable from the 4WD TH as a day hike. As an overnighter, Sand Lakes is a wonderful camping spot (w/ fishing.) I'm not certain how the change to a National Park has affected the fee situation, but there is definitely a backcountry permit station at the top of Music pass as you cross the ridge to enter the park via a drop into Sand Creek.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

I know its not what you are asking for but we did Marble mountain and attempted Milwaukee from Music Pass and plan on going back that way to get the rest of them. Here are some pics of the east face...
Attachments
P1020600.jpg
P1020600.jpg (341.9 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
P1020601.jpg
P1020601.jpg (324.52 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
P1020629.jpg
P1020629.jpg (338.77 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
IHikeLikeAGirl
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

sgladbach wrote:
IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Does anyone know if Music is hike/scramble-able from the Deadman Creek (west) side?

The trip up Deadman Creek to Deadman lakes is a "Deadfall" classic. The scramble to stay on the trail and wind your way through the downed trees makes this route one tough bugger. It is not a great choice.

The route is open and legal. The Park Service chose to put the TH several miles below where it might have been placed. Prepare to walk about 2-3 miles up a sandy road before actually beginning the old trail. No new trail has been constructed and the 50 year closure of this access through formerly private property had lead to "Zero" trail maintainnence on the route which appears on the map. Thus, the extreme deadfall.

Thanks!
The east ridge of Music Mountain from Sand Lakes is a classic and is manageable from the 4WD TH as a day hike. As an overnighter, Sand Lakes is a wonderful camping spot (w/ fishing.) I'm not certain how the change to a National Park has affected the fee situation, but there is definitely a backcountry permit station at the top of Music pass as you cross the ridge to enter the park via a drop into Sand Creek.
Thanks so much Steve. The reason for my questions, was: I was considering trying to camp up along Deadman Creek (if allowed) and try Milwaukee, Pico Aislado, and Pt 13020 A from that side. Avoiding the exposed, "ledge" maneuver on Milwaukee and thought, "Hey, while I'm there...."

The east ridge of Music (from Sand Lakes) was on my list of desired scrambles, but as I said, my mind wandered as I scanned the topo.... I figured if I was going to go through the bushwack and hassle of getting to Milwaukee (and friends) from that side, then maybe I could add another day to my trip and try for Music too.

If camping is not allowed, do you know if Milwaukee is doable as a day trip? The hike in looked long, especially with an overgrown trail.

Great pics, fireonthemountain, thanks for including them.
- Steven Wright
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

I have done the traverse from Tierjas to Pico Asilado (and then on to the Un 13er). We gained Tirjas from the east, but as far as the music to Milwaukee portion, I can speak to that. We dropped off Music to the west in a maze of gullies. After attempting to follow the ridge, we descnded several hundred feet into the deadman drainage and regained the ridge by heading directly at milwaukee. Milwaukee was definitely easier on this side. the traverse to asilado went fine, but after nabbing the 13rer, we descended intoCottonwood drainage. I don't remember what it might have been like to descend into deadman, but the topo looks reasonable.

So, aside from the difficulty of backpacking to Deadman Lake, your biggest obstacle would be finding the right gully to lead to the Music summit. they are all loose, but a partner and I manged that area.

Milwaukee Dayhike? I'd say yes from Music Pass TH on the east, probably no on the west.

Backcountry camping is allowed, but you'll need to register w/ the Park service. It is free. If coming from the east, there is a permit station at Music pass. You don't need to drive around. Give them a call to double check rules.

Overnight camping in sand Dunes backcountery.
Free backcountry permits are required for all overnight backpacking trips. Inquire at the Visitor Center. Please note that permits must be obtained in person during Visitor Center hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. summer; 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. fall, spring and winter. Plan to use Leave No Trace guidelines.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Avoiding the exposed, "ledge" maneuver on Milwaukee and thought, "Hey, while I'm there...."
Awww, come on! Avoiding that is like avoiding the chocolate on a cake.

In all seriousness, that ledge is what makes Milwaukee so...fun.
Presto
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

y doggler » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:10 pm
IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:Avoiding the exposed, "ledge" maneuver on Milwaukee and thought, "Hey, while I'm there...."

+1 ... :D We did the traverse from the Cottonwood drainage up to the saddle, then to Milwaukee on to Pico to Unnamed and down into Cottonwood drainage. Very fun day. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Embrace "the ledge", you'll love it! 8)
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

doggler wrote:

No doubt Sean!! However...when my buddy and I saw this, we stood in awe with a foul smell emanating from our pants :roll:

We had rope and gear but it was above our heads for sure.
Attachments
Ridge up Milwaukee
Ridge up Milwaukee
298087_2501828993439_1484376569_2799022_1131078535_n.jpg (108.37 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:...when my buddy and I saw this, we stood in awe...
Whoa...great picture!
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

The east ridge of Music is a wonderful scramble. If you want to avoid the ledge on Milwaukee, then you can just
come in from Cottonwood Creek on the west (the access is still supposed to be good for 2012; the rules after that
apparently haven't been decided; there is at least one thread about that on here somewhere).
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
IHikeLikeAGirl
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Thank you everyone. Great information.

And yes, yes, I have thought about how "fun" it would be to cross the "ledge" on Milwaukee...but as one of you brought up, it would also be, "fun" to not spend the remaining part of the day in soiled garments. :)

My hesitation to give the "ledge" a whirl, is reading the accounts of others more experienced than I, having a, "whoa" moment.

I know the footholds are tiny (I was told 1 inch, please tell me it's closer to 2!), but are the handholds really, REALLY, good and plenty? Is it honestly 2 steps across (for a person of 5' 7" stature)? How far apart are the footholds? No foot matching?
DaveLanders wrote:The east ridge of Music is a wonderful scramble. If you want to avoid the ledge on Milwaukee, then you can just
come in from Cottonwood Creek on the west (the access is still supposed to be good for 2012; the rules after that
apparently haven't been decided; there is at least one thread about that on here somewhere).
I had a post asking about ascending Milwaukee from Cottonwood Creek side and the response was that there were cliffs near the summit so, you still had to go through the pass and cross the ledge. Do you know otherwise? Or are you suggesting ascending Pt 13020A from Cottonwood, then following the ridge to Pico Aislado and Milwaukee?
sgladbach wrote:So, aside from the difficulty of backpacking to Deadman Lake, your biggest obstacle would be finding the right gully to lead to the Music summit. they are all loose, but a partner and I manged that area.
How would you rate the loose gullies? class 2+, 3, 4?

And BTW, keep the pictures coming! They're awesome and inspiring!
- Steven Wright