Cordillera Blancas July or August 2012

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Cordillera Blancas July or August 2012

Post by Boggy B »

Hi,

After being more than a little disappointed I never got to use my tools on Chimborazo last month (it's in "good" condition), I'm really wanting to climb in the Cordillera Blancas this year. My dad doesn't think he'll be up to it so I'm looking for a partner(s). I was thinking some lower peaks and then Chopicalqui to get above 6000m, but I'm open to something more technical if I'm not on point--ideally I want to hook up with someone who has more experience. My glacier list is short: Rainier (Fuhrer Finger), Cotopaxi (Normal), Chimborazo (El Castillo) but I'm ready to get serious. :D

Please PM if you're interested or are looking to round out a party.

Thanks!
michael
andyclimbs
14ers: 58  8  3 
13ers: 165 14
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Cordillera Blancas July or August 2012

Post by andyclimbs »

Stay at La Casa de Zarela! Get in touch with Zarela ahead of time and she can easily arrange for you a person to pick you up in Lima from the airport and a place to stay in Miraflores(Lima) for the night before you take the bus to Huaraz. And of course the bus ride to Huaraz. She will pick you up at the bus stop as well once you arrive. Her Casa is a fantastic and cheap hostel and you couldn't meet a nicer person than Zarela (although there are a ton of cool/nice people in Huaraz).

Depending on your personal character and preferences, there are always tons of partners to hook up with in Huaraz for mountain adventures. This can be a great experience or a bad one, again depending... But if plans or partners here fall through before the trip, I highly recommend going anyway and it will all work out once you get there. Have fun! You will have no problem finding some steeps to use your tools on in Peru!
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

thanks! That's an interesting approach. Not so sure I'm ready to stake two weeks of precious vacation on hooking up with the right people. On the other hand it's way more adventurous.. :-k
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

You could email bradjohnson@peaksandplaces.com He has been involved in the Huaraz climbing scene for many years. He might have some ideas to hook you up with partners.
Last edited by planet54 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Motown Mike
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Motown Mike »

In late April, 11 months ago, I hiked and climbed in the Cordillera Urubamba. According to our guide on our climb, the Urubamba Range has been passed up since Europeans climbed many of the peaks in the 50'. We worked on the 17,500' Helancoma.....
1 jaw 1.jpg
1 jaw 1.jpg (55.54 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
were not able to summit due to age and weather we were turned back on the glacier just over 16k, but it was an incredible adventure.
1 jaw 3.jpg
1 jaw 3.jpg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
Salkantay, lies just south of Machu Picchu @ 6,271 m. Cheap flights right into Cusco and a $20 taxi ride to Ollantaytambo put us within reach of glacier climbing and some great ruins. There are cheap B & B's and it makes a great base for getting into the mountains.
1 jaw 4.jpg
1 jaw 4.jpg (49.85 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
We hired a certified Peruvian Mountain Guide - Marco Perez and enjoyed every minute of the climb.

Just thought you might find this worth your consideration if you have not been to this part of the Andes....
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

PM Sent
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
astrobassman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 191 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by astrobassman »

A group of us are headed to the Blanca from July 5th to the 24th. The plan is to climb Pisco, Chopicalqui, and Huascaran. We have a good party already with 3 for sure and probably a 4th or 5th, but more climbers might not be a bad thing. With this many people multiple rope teams will be needed anyways, so more people could mean more flexibility assuming everyone is compatible with each other. Let me know if you’re interested and we could talk more.