Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Post by kushrocks »

Tory Wells wrote:
Shawnee Bob wrote:Quandary East Ridge=Horton Ridge. I mean, he hiked it more than anyone, right?
+1.
a big +2 =D>
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Randy
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Randy »

Shawnee Bob wrote:Quandary East Ridge=Horton Ridge. I mean, he hiked it more than anyone, right?
Now thats the best idea Ive heard in a long time. =D>
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

This is a terrific idea. I mean, there may be an mountain goat or two that have hiked it more than Horton but "Horton Ridge" sounds alot better than "Unidentified Mountain Goat Ridge".
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

That is an awesome idea!!!
Crusty
14ers: 55 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crusty »

Terrible idea. The East Ridge of Quandary is a historic route and should remain known as the East Ridge of Quandary.

The marmots on Wetterhorn are very tame and charismatic as well. They even live on the route that we climbers take. Maybe we should rename the Southeast Ridge of Wetternhorn after these creatures? Bad idea? Yes, I agree.
Bill Cummings
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill Cummings »

+1 more for Horton Ridge = awesome idea!
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Crusty wrote:-1000.

Terrible idea. The East Ridge of Quandary is a historic route and should remain known as the East Ridge of Quandary.

The marmots on Wetterhorn are very tame and charismatic as well. They even live on the route that we climbers take. Maybe we should rename the Southeast Ridge of Wetternhorn after these creatures? Bad idea? Yes, I agree.
I doubt any of those marmots on Wetterhorn saved the lives of at least three hikers lost in storms and guided them on the way down to the trailhead or provided support and smiles to countless struggling hikers up and down the mountain like Horton did.

I am 100% in for them renaming it Horton ridge. =D>
Last edited by kushrocks on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

I'm sorry I don't see the analogy. It is not special if some animal is in its natural surroundings living its natural life.

As far the historic nature of the route, it wouldn't be diminished by naming it after a historic dog! There's nothing historic about calling a ridge the same name as the direction it is in. Just my 2c.
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
TheOtherIndian
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

On a related note, how does all these naming work? Do people just start using the name and after a while it catches on??

In that case, I hiked up the Horton Ridge with the winter welcomer gathering last fall :)
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

Someone better tell the ridge-naming gods we're abandoning names such as Kelso, Knife Edge, Sawtooth, Sidewalk in the Sky, et al. for more mundane directional names. And while we're at it, let's rename Quandary "Point 39.4N 106.1W" or whatever the hell it is.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

There isn't any authority for names of such things. The USGS may have some ridge names registered but very few. That sort of thing pretty much just comes down to common use. Think of the Keyhole route up Longs. While the USGS does recognize the name of the Keyhole itself they don't recognize the narrows, or the ledges, or the homestretch, etc. Yet those are the generally accepted names. With the popularity of this website I imagine that if Bill changed the description on the Quandary Route page, that it wouldn't take long for the to become the commonly recognized name of that route.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
TheOtherIndian
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

CO Native wrote: With the popularity of this website I imagine that if Bill changed the description on the Quandary Route page, that it wouldn't take long for the to become the commonly recognized name of that route.
+1