MT/WY members? Need info on spring dirtbagging

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kruck
14ers: 7 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

MT/WY members? Need info on spring dirtbagging

Post by Kruck »

Kind of a shot in the dark here, but I'll be hanging around in the general vicinity of Billings/Red Lodge this spring (anytime between mid-March and late April). Hoping to dirtbag it as much as possible, and hoping maybe to get in some hiking/mellow BC ski touring.

Anybody got any leads on places to squat/trailheads to look at? Skied the RL summer camp at the pass last year, and know there's a ton of cool stuff up that road, but I assume it'll be closed till much later in the spring/summer. Or will it? I really know very little about the whole area.

Just need to do some looking around in Billings/RL, want to sleep in a tent, and want to have some fun. Any info/favorite places in the Beartooths, Bighorns, Crazies, etc., would be appreciated.
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Re: MT/WY members? Need info on spring dirtbagging

Post by Matt Lemke »

Too bad you didn't have this planned for a little later this year. I'm spending about 45 days in the Beartooths in July and August.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
Kruck
14ers: 7 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: MT/WY members? Need info on spring dirtbagging

Post by Kruck »

Just wanted to pop a few findings in here in case someone searches later.
South of Red Lodge:
West Fork Road toward Silver Run ski trails. Dispersed.
East Side Road established CGs, closed for winter but open to vehicles = free camping. Bear-proof dumpster and bear lockers here, very nice.
Lake Fork Road, camp just about anywhere. Reminded me of the glut of dispersed camping available in the Pingree area.

North of Red Lodge:
Two Mile Bridge Road. Lots of little state-run public access fishing spots on the Rock. These have no-fee primitive campsites. Get the booklet "Montana Public Access Fishing" or something like that. It lists more than 1,000 public places near water. At about 1/2 of them, you can camp for free.

Back out there in a few weeks. Might have more to report then.
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper