Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Reflections on a snowy day...

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Reflections on a snowy day...

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:08 pm

Didn't expect a half foot of snow and spindrift this morning. Sixty degrees yesterday!

Hope some of you were able to get out and enjoy the day. Please post your photos!

Re: Reflections on a snowy day...

Postby Incline Fanatic » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 pm

OMG,,,, you rock jocks amaze me! Guess we all have our "degree" of craziness, my stops about 60-70 deg,,, your 90 deg plus is awesome. God Bless, b-careful!

Postby patternmike » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:17 am

Great pictures! For a curious midwesterner (wants to be a westerner) where are you climbing at?

Postby Brian C » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:22 am

Nice photos Jim! I've spent the last two weekends climbing in the Garden. Love it!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:13 am

patternmike wrote:Great pictures! For a curious midwesterner (wants to be a westerner) where are you climbing at?

Sorry; should have put that in! Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Being right in town makes it pretty sweet.

Brian C wrote:Nice photos Jim! I've spent the last two weekends climbing in the Garden. Love it!

Cool. What routes have you been climbing? Have you been over to the east side of Kindergarten yet? Still a little early for that area, but there's some cool sport routes there.

For the less casual climber, there are a couple of harder classics I really like on the west side of north gateway - Rainbow Bridge and Anaconda. Two of my favorite routes anywhere.

If you're down this weekend give a shout. Or any time, for that matter. I'm about ten minutes from there and the rack is hanging on a hook next to the front door. : )

Postby Craig Cook » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:13 am

Hey Jim (or anyone else), could you tell me what people are climbing in a couple photos I took last summer at Garden of the Gods? I am not a technical climber, but I love watching others climb - amazing to see.

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby d_baker » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:42 am

Craig Cook wrote:Hey Jim (or anyone else), could you tell me what people are climbing in a couple photos I took last summer at Garden of the Gods?

The first two appears to be on Drug Wall on S Gateway Rock. Routes? Not sure, but Jim probably knows. But might be The Fixer (5.10a) or Rocket Fuel (5.11b) or Pure Energy (5.11c).
This is judging from my guidebook, not from personal experience on those particular routes (because I'm not good enough to climb at that level!)

The third photo looks like Montezuma's Tower, GOG classic at 5.7 with some exposure. ;)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Yes, the "Drug Wall" at the north end of South Gateway Rock. The climber is just topping out at the anchors on Mighty Thor, a Garden classic 5.10b. You can see his rope to the right below him. Thor's anchor is perched on a ledge to the left of the actual route.

There are two routes to the left that are usually top-roped, but can be done on lead, and share the same anchor. They are the ones Darin mentioned, Rocket Fuel, and Pure Energy. To the left of these is Fixer, a route which has its own anchor.

I always thought Montezuma's Tower was 5.4, but checking Rolofson, yes, it's 5.7R, the "R" meaning a potential for injury due to lack of adequate fixed protection. Rolofson says the "R" designation in a rating means that there is "a long or damaging fall potential." Dispite this fact, the route is very popular, and often climbed by those whose limits barely exceed the rating.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:46 pm

Craig, here's what it looks like from the other end... : )

"Mighty Thor", climber's perspective.

Postby Craig Cook » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks Darin and Jim!

And I love the view of "Mighty Thor". =D>
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.