Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Trivia

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby giarcd » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Many of ya'll must attract a crowd,I'm much less popular but seldom alone. The popularity of peaks in Colorado is shared in contiguous states ! The lure is huge !

Postby Jesse M » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:54 pm

giarcd wrote:Many of ya'll must attract a crowd,I'm much less popular but seldom alone. The popularity of peaks in Colorado is shared in contiguous states ! The lure is huge !

I'll bite: Mount Whitney??

Postby giarcd » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:25 am

Well my post does say "peaks" and "contiguous states"----meaning that hiking/climbing peaks is mighty popular whether a 14er or not and draws a crowd!!

Hike On !!

Postby Jesse M » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:04 am

Has a US President ever been to the summit of a 14er?

How many mountains are named after US Presidents? Guess before you google.
"What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy." George Mallory

lordhelmut wrote:You are, in fact, one of the gatekeeper of the Gapers.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:42 am

MntOwl wrote:Has a US President ever been to the summit of a 14er?

I'm sure it's happened on Pikes Peak, but I've never read of any specific mentions (and if a sitting prez visited the peak it would certainly make the local news in a big way). There's been a tourist railway to the summit of Pikes Peak for 120 years and a road for almost 100, so it would be natural to assume that some future President rode up there at some point during that time. Gerald Ford had a home in Colorado for a long time and was pretty athletic, so I wouldn't be surprised if he visited a few peaks.

How many mountains are named after US Presidents? Guess before you google.

I'd guess at least twenty in Colorado, but only one 14er (Lincoln).
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Mark A Steiner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:40 pm

For what it is worth (not good science, just conjecture) some in the field of historical geology described the occurrence of what was called "the Ancestral Rockies" in the Pensyvanian Period of the Paleozoic Era. During this time three distnct highlands rose to great heights in Colorado, although nothing of certainty. The uplifts (and their modern remnant equivalents) are: Apishapaia (southern Sangre de Cristos), Frontlandia (Front Range area) and Uncompahgria (central San Juans). Some have speculated these ancestral ranges rose much more rapidly than at other times in the geologic column and may have reached 20,000 feet. However they were apparently rapidly eroded as they rose, forming thick sequences of reddish medium-coarse clastic sedimentary rocks such as sandstone and pebble conglomerate. Expressions of these sedimentary deposits include the Red Rocks east of Mount Morrison, the Maroon Formation in the Mosquito Range, the Elk Range such as Pyramid Peak, Maroon Bells, etc.) and the extensive red sediment deposits found across the Colorado Plateau in northeast Arizona and Utah.

Unfortunately no scientist, living or dead withnessed the uplift and erosion of what must have been a magnificent series of mountain ranges right in our own backyard.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:59 pm

The Guffey Volcano might have been over 25,000 feet tall at its peak, about 34 million years ago. Its largest remnant is Thirty-nine mile mountain. Mudflows from this volcano formed the Florrisant Fossil Beds; it's also the site of the largest meteorite ever found in Colorado.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Mark A Steiner » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:44 am

So far I haven't found any information on the Guffey Volcano that gives a reasonable estimate of the volume of volcanic material ejected. It is believed to have been considerable. Based on the history of other vents such as Krakatoa or Santorini, a sizeable Andean cone may have been built before the entire structure was either blown away (phreatic eruption) or collapsed into what is viewed today. Florissant remains have a genesis not unlike Mount St. Helens. Guffey has a much grander scale. Another notable vent in the Thirtynine Mile field is Black Mountain, E of Antero Junction (and further east, Waugh Mountain). Black Mountain provides an impressive backdrop if you approach it from the Ute Trail that goes NE from Salida and toward Hartsel.

LaGarita Caldera was something else. Again, vertical dimensions are unknown and certainly speculative above the present height of San Luis Peak. USGS scientists estimate greater than 1,200 cubic miles of ejecta originated from the various vents in this caldera.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby milan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:29 am

Had to go to the literature, Ancestral Rockies were estimated to be about 10 000 feet tall. They were at the coast so still huge ranges. Anyways, I agree if something could have been over 20 k, that would be the volcanoes about 35-45 milion years ago. Just dont forget, it was before the uplift that added 5000 feet more recently, so Sawatch was probably like 10 000 feet tall before (something more, how much they eroded?), so the volcanoes of 20 k would be another 10 k above. Guess possible but who knows. A nice book is "Roadside Geology of Colorado" it mentions the geological history of this region a lot.

Previous