Wichita Mountains-Oklahoma

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Wichita Mountains-Oklahoma

Post by Shawnee Bob »

Workin on it! A side note: If you're good with slabby granite rock, the Wichitas make for awesome trad climbing.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Wichitas are the prettiest in June, which is also the hottest month. I did a traverse from Elk to Lincoln when the temp was 106. I'll post a pic or two tonight.

I've never seen a snake and I've probably been there at least 20 different times.
Last edited by MtHurd on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Barry Raven wrote:Wichitas are the prettiest in June, which is also the hottest month. I did a traverse from Elk to Lincoln when the temp was 106. I'll post a pic or two tonight.
106!? That's not hot!
Go get it
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

That was the official temp for that day. 6 feet above the granite was much hotter!
Aug_Dog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Barry Raven wrote:That was the official temp for that day. 6 feet above the granite was much hotter!
Coppell, huh? I'm a Marcus '00 grad. Go Marauders!

(you probably don't care ...)
Go get it
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

I am a Coppell Cowboy, Allen Eagle, and Lamar Vikings fan.

OklahomaMountainMan
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OklahomaMountainMan »

I absolutely love the Wichitas. Easily one of the best areas in the state for hiking, climbing, and camping. I haven't seen many snakes out there but I tend to avoid SW Oklahoma during the summer months; the heat is always way more brutal there than in OKC. Plus you can't beat a Meers burger after a long day of climbing!
Shawnee Bob
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

Barry: Those are great photos! Your shot of Mt. Mitchell is signature. I haven't seen a snake yet, either, but my friend Johnny has a couple times.

As far as heat goes, it always seems to peak around July/August. You can still get some nice days in June. But I'm betting this summer is going to be another scorcher, seeing how mild and dry it's been this winter.

Oklahoma Mountain Man: +1 in the Meers Burger. Simply awesome.

Want to do some backcountry camping there right about now...

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
apasquel
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

I can't believe you guys haven't run into those snakes...I can't tell you how many time i've walked over a boulder and hear that "rattle" sound...you just dont get used to that sound. I was on the back of the Elk Slabs one Late Spring afternoon with my wife and as we were approaching the route, I came within striking distance...he didn't back away...so we did not climb that day.

I once ran into a moccoasin out there...I was really surprised to see him out there. He just stared at us and got back in the water...

I would say, most of my encounters with the snakes have been on climbing trails or off trail...

***BTW...I am a juvenile probation officer for Denton COunty and my office is in FLower Mound. I have many kids that go to Marcus...***
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

There is some pretty cool stuff way back in the corner of the wilderness. There are some potential climbing routes back there too. One of my bushwhacking adventures took me up and back down Mitchell Canyon past Charons Garden Mountain, then summitted Pt. 1860, Pt. 1928, then a rough bushwhack across Mt. Mitchell Massif to the true summit. There are about 5 other points on the massif that I want to get out to some day. Mitchell Massif is quite big.
Shawnee Bob
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

It is. There are so many cool aspects to that mountain. Learned a few things on it.

There are some interesting looking minor peaks near Sunset Peak, too. I'm hoping, however, to go get Twin Rock soon. It looks like it might be a fun day.

Aug_Dog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

My first real experience doing any scrambling with some exposure was in the Wichitas ...
Go get it