Rainier Question

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rainier Question

Post by climbing_rob »

On Rainier, we always rope 3-man teams with 30M, 4 man with 45, basically nearly 15 meters between climbers. If you have a 3-person team, consider simply getting an 8mm, 30M rope for Rainier (Beal?). These little 30M lightweight gems are great for quick belays on spring/summer alpine routes. Of course you don't lead vertical rock with them. Last time I bought one they were just about 60 bucks. voila!
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

climbing_rob wrote:On Rainier, we always rope 3-man teams with 30M, 4 man with 45, basically nearly 15 meters between climbers. If you have a 3-person team, consider simply getting an 8mm, 30M rope for Rainier (Beal?). These little 30M lightweight gems are great for quick belays on spring/summer alpine routes. Of course you don't lead vertical rock with them. Last time I bought one they were just about 60 bucks. voila!
So on your 30m 3-man scenario, you're not coiling rope on the ends? I thought a little extra was thought to be good in the event of a crevasse fall/rescue situation. No?
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

d_baker wrote:
climbing_rob wrote:On Rainier, we always rope 3-man teams with 30M, 4 man with 45, basically nearly 15 meters between climbers. If you have a 3-person team, consider simply getting an 8mm, 30M rope for Rainier (Beal?). These little 30M lightweight gems are great for quick belays on spring/summer alpine routes. Of course you don't lead vertical rock with them. Last time I bought one they were just about 60 bucks. voila!
So on your 30m 3-man scenario, you're not coiling rope on the ends? I thought a little extra was thought to be good in the event of a crevasse fall/rescue situation. No?
Certainly not a bad idea, but not really needed either, IMHO. I've found that coils are highly annoying and make the messy situation of all that gear hanging on you even messier. We practice these C-falls all the time with only the 30M, and cover what I think are all the scenarios well. I never found the need for the extra, personally, though I'm always willing to tune the system if someone can describe a credible scenario that needs this. IF we were climbing a remote mountain, Logan, Fairweather, something like that, I would probably highly consider this, but not Rainier by a standard route.

For actual real-life crevasse falls, I personally have fallen in once, as the point man, about 15 feet down, but ultimately managed to climb out on my own (my fall was caught by the guy behind me). So I've never been a real-life "rescuer", only a "rescuee". So my REAL crevasse falling experience is somewhat limited.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Sorry to hijack the thread, haha. To clarify:

When I said "winter/spring alpine routes" I was thinking steep couloirs, ridge runs, traverses, rappels. Maybe short rock pitches like Bancroft's East Ridge.

The rope's main purpose will be glaciers. Thanks for the feedback so far, guys.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

I live inthe PNW and all I have are 60 and 70 meter, 9.2 - 10.5 mm ropes. If there are two of us we may shorten the rope (rescue coil) on either end, if there are 3-4 we just do even spacing.

About the weather, who knows what time of year is best, anywhere form now till early September you just have to take your chances so do not cut your trip short,make sure you have a few days just in case. Theorectally the routes will be the best May thru Mid July, of course thats prime avy season as well.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

I own the edelweiss discover 8mm 30m and a regular climbing partner has a comparable beal rope. Have used them on a few glacier routes (rainier, hood, mt. blanc) with 2 or 3 person teams and they worked well. Also been happy with them on snow climbs and summer raps in Colorado. I have a bluewater dominator 9.4mm 70m that I've been really happy with on alpine trad routes. It's quite light for a single rated rope, but I'm glad I don't have to take it on glaciers or snow climbs.