Mt. Sanitas view?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Mt. Sanitas view?

Post by scramble »

Can you see the Continental Divide from the top of Mt. Sanitas in Boulder? I only hiked it once at night and couldn't see anything. (When I've done Green Mountain at night, the view of the Divide was obvious.) The ProTrails pic makes it seem like you can see stuff from the top.

I think the view is pretty cool and would love to show my parents when they visit this weekend. I think Green Mountain might be a bit snowy/slick for them, but it seems like Sanitas usually stays pretty dry.

I'm also down for any comments, advice, etc for hikes my parents can do in sneakers. I think my family doesn't want to drive as far as RMNP or IPW or deal with snow.

Thanks!
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Mt. Sanitas view?

Post by jaymz »

I believe you can see glimpses of the divide from along the trail, but it's pretty heavily wooded at the top from what I recall, so the views aren't that spectacular.
When are they coming in? If it's after mid-May, I'd suggest Devil's Head. My parents are from Missouri, and they loved it! You can see Grays and Torreys, which is on the divide, as well as Antero on a clear day.

EDIT: Derp. You said this weekend... nevermind on Devil's Head (read, jaymz, read...).

If snow's an issue, I'm not sure you have too many options right now. If you can make it up to Golden Gate Canyon SP, you can drive right up to the trailhead and look out over a valley towards the divide, with a picture telling you what you're looking at and everything!
Last edited by jaymz on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
TCUTED
Trip Reports (4)

Post by TCUTED »

I remember having to look through some thick trees at the top to see the Divide on Sanitas, I do however recall that you had a pretty unobstructed view from South Boulder peak, which is somewhat similar to Sanitas?
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

I think Green Mountain might be a bit snowy/slick for them,
You are correct. I went up the west ridge today and you COULD do it with just boots but micro-spikes were nice to have coming down.

You'd probably encounter snow but this a nice hike close to Boulder wth a nice view of the Divide:

http://www.summitpost.org/sugarloaf-mou ... -co/445263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

You can see the Divide from the summit of Sanitas.
scramble
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

jaymz wrote:If snow's an issue, I'm not sure you have too many options right now. If you can make it up to Golden Gate Canyon SP, you can drive right up to the trailhead and look out over a valley towards the divide, with a picture telling you what you're looking at and everything!
that's a great tip! i think we'll do that.

i appreciate the responses and will definitely keep other suggestions in mind for the future.
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

I ran Green today, there is zero snow anywhere on it right now... should be good to go for that one in mid-May. If you wanted to keep it shorter/less gain, you could do the West Ridge of Green from the top of Flagstaff. About the same gain as Sanitas, but not as steep. Way better views from up there. :)

Edit: From the top (very top) of the Flagstaff *road*...not the top of Flagstaff Mountain, proper. Though from the junction of the Flagstaff summit road to Green is also very enjoyable. (and snow-free)
scramble
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

Thanks a bunch everyone! We ended up going on an exploratory drive up Flagstaff and found lots of places to pull over and take in the views of Boulder, the Flatirons, and finally way up there was a place where you could see the whole Divide from Longs through a bunch of Indian Peaks I don't know the names of. I have since done Sanitas during daylight and there are some nice views of some of the Indian Peaks, but I couldn't see all the way to Longs. West Ridge of Green would be a great one for mom the next time she comes, thanks for the suggestion!