Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Sanitas view?

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Mt. Sanitas view?

Postby scramble » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Can you see the Continental Divide from the top of Mt. Sanitas in Boulder? I only hiked it once at night and couldn't see anything. (When I've done Green Mountain at night, the view of the Divide was obvious.) The ProTrails pic makes it seem like you can see stuff from the top.

I think the view is pretty cool and would love to show my parents when they visit this weekend. I think Green Mountain might be a bit snowy/slick for them, but it seems like Sanitas usually stays pretty dry.

I'm also down for any comments, advice, etc for hikes my parents can do in sneakers. I think my family doesn't want to drive as far as RMNP or IPW or deal with snow.

Thanks!

Re: Mt. Sanitas view?

Postby jaymz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:32 pm

I believe you can see glimpses of the divide from along the trail, but it's pretty heavily wooded at the top from what I recall, so the views aren't that spectacular.
When are they coming in? If it's after mid-May, I'd suggest Devil's Head. My parents are from Missouri, and they loved it! You can see Grays and Torreys, which is on the divide, as well as Antero on a clear day.

EDIT: Derp. You said this weekend... nevermind on Devil's Head (read, jaymz, read...).

If snow's an issue, I'm not sure you have too many options right now. If you can make it up to Golden Gate Canyon SP, you can drive right up to the trailhead and look out over a valley towards the divide, with a picture telling you what you're looking at and everything!
Last edited by jaymz on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TCUTED » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:41 pm

I remember having to look through some thick trees at the top to see the Divide on Sanitas, I do however recall that you had a pretty unobstructed view from South Boulder peak, which is somewhat similar to Sanitas?

Postby zoomie83 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:05 pm

I think Green Mountain might be a bit snowy/slick for them,

You are correct. I went up the west ridge today and you COULD do it with just boots but micro-spikes were nice to have coming down.

You'd probably encounter snow but this a nice hike close to Boulder wth a nice view of the Divide:

http://www.summitpost.org/sugarloaf-mountain-boulder-co/445263

Postby USAKeller » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:22 pm

You can see the Divide from the summit of Sanitas.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby scramble » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:45 am

jaymz wrote:If snow's an issue, I'm not sure you have too many options right now. If you can make it up to Golden Gate Canyon SP, you can drive right up to the trailhead and look out over a valley towards the divide, with a picture telling you what you're looking at and everything!

that's a great tip! i think we'll do that.

i appreciate the responses and will definitely keep other suggestions in mind for the future.

Postby Sugar Madison » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:16 pm

I ran Green today, there is zero snow anywhere on it right now... should be good to go for that one in mid-May. If you wanted to keep it shorter/less gain, you could do the West Ridge of Green from the top of Flagstaff. About the same gain as Sanitas, but not as steep. Way better views from up there. :)

Edit: From the top (very top) of the Flagstaff *road*...not the top of Flagstaff Mountain, proper. Though from the junction of the Flagstaff summit road to Green is also very enjoyable. (and snow-free)

Postby scramble » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks a bunch everyone! We ended up going on an exploratory drive up Flagstaff and found lots of places to pull over and take in the views of Boulder, the Flatirons, and finally way up there was a place where you could see the whole Divide from Longs through a bunch of Indian Peaks I don't know the names of. I have since done Sanitas during daylight and there are some nice views of some of the Indian Peaks, but I couldn't see all the way to Longs. West Ridge of Green would be a great one for mom the next time she comes, thanks for the suggestion!