Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Can you identify this mountain from a commercial?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Can you identify this mountain from a commercial?

Postby mouse_rat » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:38 pm

I was curious, though someone might know where this is located. Pretty sure not in Colorado and may be heavily edited. I saw it in a Toyota commercial.
mtn.jpg
mtn.jpg (58.46 KiB) Viewed 981 times

Re: Can you identify this mountain from a commercial?

Postby milan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Could be East Sierra Nevada? The mountains look high, landscape looks like volcanic rock in desert, there is an area of some hills in Ovens Valley where the California movie industry likes to work. Unfortunately, I can't identyfy anything specific (e.g. Whitney..) that would make me sure about that.

Postby RJansen77 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:13 pm

I believe the large peak on the right side is Lone Pine Peak, not 100% sure though. I climbed Whitney six years ago and remember that peak is much more impressive than Whitney from the valley.

Postby elevationcelebration » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 pm

Peak on the right is Lone Pine Peak (12,944). Peak in the center at first is Mt. Langley (14,027 or so), has small flat top. Whitney is out of view/behind clouds to right. Looks to be taken from Alabama Hills area. Fun part of the Sierra! Similar view at the beginning of the second transformers movie I noticed!

Postby dmdoug » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Sure looks like Whitney Portal Road going through the Alabama Hills.

Postby geojed » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:16 am

It is in fact on Whitney Portal Rd. Here's a Google Streets view of that exact same telephone pole in the center of the photo. The bushes to the left of that car in the photo are the same ones in the center of the Google Streets View.

http://g.co/maps/d6kyn
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain