San Juans location help

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lazybeagle
Trip Reports (0)

San Juans location help

Post by lazybeagle »

Hi,

Ive owened a poster for years and want to try to get to where its taken but I dont know. The poster says it was taken in the San Juans but thats all it mentions. Guessing weminuche, but could be wrong. What peak or ridge is this taken from? The following link is not spam or going to take you to a site selling viagara or anything - just the photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lazybeagle/?saved=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you 14ers members for any help you can provide.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Re: San Juans location help

Post by gonzalj »

That really looks like it's taken from the summit of sneffels (or close to the summit) looking west (if I'm not mistaken) on some of the dallas divide range.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

It's from Sneffels, looking S at Gilpin Pk (with the snow couloir) and the "Block Tops" ridge line leading to Dallas Pk (on far looker's right of photo).
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Amazing how this thread happened. A Frontier flight from PHX passed over almost exactly the same spot yesterday. The profile of Dallas Peak was clearly in view. Sorry no photos from me - part of the Sneffels Range was obscured and by the time I could aim my camera the view was gone.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

d_baker wrote:It's from Sneffels, looking S at Gilpin Pk (with the snow couloir) and the "Block Tops" ridge line leading to Dallas Pk (on far looker's right of photo).
I concur.

If you want to do that pose yourself I believe that very rock is just to the south of the top of the Lavendar Couloir on Sneffels.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
lazybeagle
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazybeagle »

Thanks everyone. Funny thing is I was on top of Sneffels about 6 years ago...but it was so foggy I could barely see my hand in front of my face. Cant say Ill mind trying it again, was a gorgeous area (though my camaro didnt agree).

"top of the Lavendar Couloir" - kudos CO Native. Do want to mimic the poster. Heres hoping for perfect weather.

Thank you!
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by k-berger »

Have that picture in my office at work, beautiful photo. Definately not from the top of Sneffels, you can see the SW ridge of Sneffels on the right of the photo. Looks like the outcropping across from the top of lavender col.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

I have this one too in the form of a bookmark.