Big Bend--Window Traverse

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Big Bend--Window Traverse

Post by steelfrog »

Howdy--I thought you might be interested ina traverse (almost) of the Window in Big Bend that my Bro and I did over the weekend.

First, we attempted Vernon Bailey, which forms the right (west) side of the famous Window in the Chisos Basin of Big Bend N.P.:

The left (east) side of the Window is formed by Amon Carter Peak:

Vernon Bailey was quite a bushwack, and rather than follow another plan we had heard about, we successfully tried to find a more direct route, but ran out of time about a half hour from the summit; but did get some pretty sweet views of the Chisos Basin:

Carter was another issue altogether--the idea I had was that I would climb Gilbert's Promontory, which is to the east of Carter and about 200 feet higher, and take a picture of my Bro on top. First, we had to negotiate about a 800' talus slope, which took 25 minutes (this pic is about 100 feet up or so):

Here's a pic of my Bro (circled in red) on his way up Carter:

And here he is on top of Carter, with the Christmas Mountains visible in the distance behind him:

Last edited by steelfrog on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Big Bend--Window Traverse

Post by MtHurd »

Hey I thought Texas was flat? Amazing stuff!
elhombre
14ers: 31 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elhombre »

So, I have to come to 14ers to get the good pictures.....Very nice Basin shot. It sure is nice to see a different perspective of the area.
"You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization — including work, behavioral standards, personal responsibility and all the other basic things that the clever intelligentsia disdain — without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large." Thomas Sowell
dsbrian
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dsbrian »

Beautiful photos. I did this hike a few years ago and ran into a black bear heading up trail toward the end where it narrows. We stared at each other for a minute, I moved to the side and he walked on by me and up the trail. One of my most memorable experiences while hiking but also one of the most nerve racking when it ocurred. :D
tx_mountain_medic
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tx_mountain_medic »

Great pics. I have some of the same. I climbed that a few years ago, a pretty tough climb on the account of the talis! We climes it a few days after a good rain in the area and had about 100 m wide section of mountain side move while we were on it. Definetly one of my scariest climbs! Good to see some of texas on here. I might post a few pics of palo duro canyon on here too. Later!