Snowshoeing in Aspen

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Snowshoeing in Aspen

Post by k-berger »

I am in Aspen for the weekend and my wife and I are looking for a good snowshoe trail near town. Any suggestions? We contemplated the maroon creek road up to the Bells, but the 14 mile round trip seemed a little much, any first hand accounts on the time/physical commitment of that route? Other than that we are looking for something in the 6-7 mile round trip, good views, minimal avy danger arena. If anyone has any good suggestions that would be great. Thanks!
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Snowshoeing in Aspen

Post by gonzalj »

Not sure what the avy danger is like, but you might want to check out hunter creek. It starts in town and goes up and eventually goes into this open field (after hiking up somewhere between 2 & 3 miles) and there are some great views of all the 14ers.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Careful with the Bells road...there are some active avalanche paths that cross the road...
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by k-berger »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think hunter creek fits the bill.