Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Point North » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Surprised I haven't seen more reference to Instant Karma: The Heart and Soul of a Ski Bum.

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Karma-Heart-Soul-Ski/dp/0979625505/ref=pd_sim_b_2/175-5083850-2172337

If you haven't read this classic, get it. It's probably at your library. About a guy who grew up a misfit after literally being dropped on his head as a kid, only to find his place in the Colorado Rockies as a ski instructor and bum. Five stars.

Postby d_baker » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:07 pm

The forum on 14ers.com.
And probably too often.

Postby DurangoJenn » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:34 pm

d_baker wrote:The forum on 14ers.com.
And probably too often.

:lol:

Just finished The Lost Cyclist. Needed something light after that so am reading Drink, Play, F@#k.

Postby Reyven » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:59 am

Just finished Surviving the Extremes. Its a book about the human body and its reaction and adaptation to extreme conditions. Its written by an MD with first hand experience in the adverse conditions and the injuries he has seen and dealt with. He talks about everything from desert life to outer space, including Everest and deep sea diving. Its really quite amazing how we have adapted.

Postby MtnHub » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Will need to get a new book pretty soon, so thought I'd check out some of the suggestions listed on this thread.

Have been reading Paul K Chappell's Peaceful Revolution. Is excellent reading and a must for anyone who thinks peace is unattainable. Was recommended by our friend in BV who we stayed with in July. He spoke there recently and she was extremely impressed. Would loved to have heard and met this young person (a West Point grad and Iraq War vet).

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:15 pm

MtnHub wrote:Will need to get a new book pretty soon

Thanks for giving this thread a bump after 7 months. TeeVee is dumb. Professional sports are dumb. People should read more books.

Now reading: "The Last Of His Kind" by David Roberts, bio of American mountaineer Brad Washburn and "Smythe's Mountains, The Climbs Of F.S. Smythe" by Harry Calvert, both available from the Denver Public Library.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby oldschoolczar » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:36 pm

"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby taylorzs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:18 pm

currently reading; "The Blind Watchmaker; Why the Evidence of Evolutions Reveals a Universe Without Design" by Richard Dawkins. An awesome book, almost finished.

Other Science:
"The Origin of Species" Darwin
"The Pathological Protein" Yam
"The Grand Design" Hawking
"The Double Helix" Watson
"The Selfish Gene" Dawkins
other books on Human Physiology/Pathology, Microbiology, and Evolutionary/Molecular Biology

other non-fiction
my guide book collection

Fiction:
Anything Edward Abbey favorite probably " Monkey Wrench Gang"
"Big Sky" and subsequent books in series. AB Guthrie
anything Tom Robbins
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Postby pkripper » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:36 am

Just finished the Last Expedition, and my copy of No Easy Day arrived today.

Postby randalmartin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:49 am

The Ultimate Hikers Gear Guide - Andrew Skurka
The Animal Dialogues - Craig Childs

Postby Amurph » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:51 am

Finding Ultra : rejecting middle age, becoming one of the world's fittest men, and discovering myself / Rich Roll.

Great information on food and resources for health and fitness.

http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Ultra-Rejecting-Becoming-Discovering/dp/0307952193/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346939439&sr=8-1&keywords=finding+ultra

Postby JaredASkaga » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:04 am

Growing up in the Tetons as a child, I wanted to be a Jenny Park Ranger. They are the baddest dudes out there. "A Bolt from the Blue" tells their story exceptionally well. It is a very fast read.

Also just finished "The Long Way"[b][/b] by Bernard Moitessier. Although I have little time spent on the ocean, his spiritual reflections, in my mind, translate quite well to my affinity for the mountains.

PreviousNext