Mera, but never climbed before!

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bryanaltman
Trip Reports (0)

Mera, but never climbed before!

Post by bryanaltman »

I would like to climb a tall mountain, and after having done some research, Mt. Mera is looking like a great pick.

I am a 21 year old male, in very good shape having recently done a half-ironman in september. I have some experience with small altitude, having lived in the Canadian Rockies for a year skiing at Sunshine with an elevation of 2700 m. I do plan on climbing Mt. Kinabulu in Borneo, Malaysia very soon and beforehand.

I really would like to experience being at a high altitude and I need your advice! Is Mt. Mera doable? Is it the right mountain to do?
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Mera, but never climbed before!

Post by geojed »

Everyone acclimatizes differently, and the same person can react differently on different trips.

Check this SP page for info on Mera. They even have an "acclimitization" itinerary posted.

http://www.summitpost.org/mera-peak/150229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
mstender
14ers: 9 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mstender »

If you are really only interested in the high altitude experience and it does not have to be technical, I would suggest to take a look at the volcanoes around Arequipa in the Sout of Peru, a 1-hour flight from Lima. There are several peaks between 18000-22000 ft and most of them are essentialy walk-ups and very few might require crapons and axe depending on the time of the year. It is very easy to find guides or just logistics service around "Plaza de Armas" in the center of Arequipa which is a really nice town to hang out too. Nearby is also Colca Canyon, which is twice as deep as Grand Canyon and the source of the Amazon on Nevado Mismi, an 18000 ft peak. You can even get to most places with public transport, which I would not do I was traveling alone though but that would be just my personal preference. There is enough stuff to play for a couple of weeks. Lots of good info and trip reports over on summitpost.com.
"You may have passed time in happier ways, but there are other mountains to climb: you've never lived as you're living today - now is the time!"
Peter Hammill 1976
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

We invite you to try some 4000m peaks in Colorado or California as an intermediate step.

P.S. I was surprised not to see that many 4000m in Canada until you get close to Alaska.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Of course if Mera Peak is your first one, you would have to go guided. If you want to try it, are in shape, and can afford it, there wouldn't be any reason not to try. The views from Mera Peak would be a really spectacular introduction to mountaineering.
P.S. I was surprised not to see that many 4000m in Canada until you get close to Alaska.
Very true, but worth mentioning that a Canadian 4000 meters (13124') is not the same as a Colorado 4000 meters.

I believe that the only 4000er (13er) in Canada that isn't close to AK is Waddington:

Photo link:

http://www.summitpost.org/mt-waddington/449444/c-153091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.