What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by JROSKA »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one, but I'm reading "The Summit - Faith Beyond the Death Zone" by Eric Alexander. Great book by a local and world renowned climber. I'm setting a record for fastest time reading a book.
cwm191
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cwm191 »

14erFred wrote:"Into the Silence," by Wade Davis -- it's a brilliant, spell-binding, in-depth analysis of the British expeditions to Everest during the 1920s, filled with historical intrigue, psychological insights, and little-known mountaineering facts. I can't put it down and wish it would never end. It's an awesome book, and I highly recommend it.
100% agree! Easily the most deeply researched and emotive "mountain" book I've ever read. It's one of my new favorite adventure books. Now, I'm almost done reading The Operators by Michael Hastings about General McChrystal and his shenanigans in Afghanistan.
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain. - Friedrich Schiller

The problem with quotes on the internet is there is no way to verify their accuracy. - Abraham Lincoln
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

cwm191 wrote: 100% agree! Easily the most deeply researched and emotive "mountain" book I've ever read. It's one of my new favorite adventure books. Now, I'm almost done reading The Operators by Michael Hastings about General McChrystal and his shenanigans in Afghanistan.
Completely different I'm sure but I'm reading The Places In Between by Rory Stewart about walking (!!!!) across Afghanistan not long after September 11 and around the time we invaded. Fascinating look at the people and history of the region. Pretty much everyone thought he was going to get himself killed but he made it.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Read a book last year called "The Mapmakers" which was about the history of mapmaking. (Shocker.) In it, there was a brief story of the original outsider exploration of Tibet that was done in secret by a couple of Indian cousins, hired by the British. Turns out there was a full book on the adventure, called "Trespassers at the Roof of the World"...so thats what is on my nightstand now.
http://www.amazon.com/Trespassers-Roof- ... 1568360509

--D
Craig Cook
14ers: 16 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Craig Cook »

I recently finished re-reading The Long Walk by Stephen King. It doesn't take place in the mountains, but it is a story about hiking to the extreme. I love this novel.
Point North
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Point North »

Surprised I haven't seen more reference to Instant Karma: The Heart and Soul of a Ski Bum.

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Karma-Hea ... 50-2172337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you haven't read this classic, get it. It's probably at your library. About a guy who grew up a misfit after literally being dropped on his head as a kid, only to find his place in the Colorado Rockies as a ski instructor and bum. Five stars.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

The forum on 14ers.com.
And probably too often.
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

d_baker wrote:The forum on 14ers.com.
And probably too often.
:lol:

Just finished The Lost Cyclist. Needed something light after that so am reading Drink, Play, F@#k.
Reyven
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reyven »

Just finished Surviving the Extremes. Its a book about the human body and its reaction and adaptation to extreme conditions. Its written by an MD with first hand experience in the adverse conditions and the injuries he has seen and dealt with. He talks about everything from desert life to outer space, including Everest and deep sea diving. Its really quite amazing how we have adapted.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Will need to get a new book pretty soon, so thought I'd check out some of the suggestions listed on this thread.

Have been reading Paul K Chappell's Peaceful Revolution. Is excellent reading and a must for anyone who thinks peace is unattainable. Was recommended by our friend in BV who we stayed with in July. He spoke there recently and she was extremely impressed. Would loved to have heard and met this young person (a West Point grad and Iraq War vet).
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

MtnHub wrote:Will need to get a new book pretty soon
Thanks for giving this thread a bump after 7 months. TeeVee is dumb. Professional sports are dumb. People should read more books.

Now reading: "The Last Of His Kind" by David Roberts, bio of American mountaineer Brad Washburn and "Smythe's Mountains, The Climbs Of F.S. Smythe" by Harry Calvert, both available from the Denver Public Library.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

-Blood and Thunder: The Epic Story of Kit Carson and the Conquest of the West
http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Thunder-Car ... nd+thunder

-Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West
http://www.amazon.com/Undaunted-Courage ... ed+courage
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski