Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby aaronmojica » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:14 am

How to Stay Alive in Avalanche Terrain

Postby Samajax » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:49 am

I read posts from 14er.com while I'm at work and start counting the days until our summer climbs. The recent "odd snow year" reports from Capitol and Pyramid had me right up there with them, thanks.

As far as books go, I'm just about finished slogging my way through Infinite Jest/David Foster Wallace.

Postby DeucesWild » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:25 am

"How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby sunny1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:17 pm

DeucesWild wrote:"How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.

:lol:

How's that working out for ya, Deuce?
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby DeucesWild » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:42 pm

sunny1 wrote:
DeucesWild wrote:"How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.

:lol:

How's that working out for ya, Deuce?

So far, I'm only through Chapter 1! To be honest, it seems like a bunch of horse apples (to use an expression from the ancient times this book was written) to me.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby JROSKA » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:29 pm

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one, but I'm reading "The Summit - Faith Beyond the Death Zone" by Eric Alexander. Great book by a local and world renowned climber. I'm setting a record for fastest time reading a book.

Postby cwm191 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:02 pm

14erFred wrote:"Into the Silence," by Wade Davis -- it's a brilliant, spell-binding, in-depth analysis of the British expeditions to Everest during the 1920s, filled with historical intrigue, psychological insights, and little-known mountaineering facts. I can't put it down and wish it would never end. It's an awesome book, and I highly recommend it.

100% agree! Easily the most deeply researched and emotive "mountain" book I've ever read. It's one of my new favorite adventure books. Now, I'm almost done reading The Operators by Michael Hastings about General McChrystal and his shenanigans in Afghanistan.
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain. - Friedrich Schiller

The problem with quotes on the internet is there is no way to verify their accuracy. - Abraham Lincoln

Postby Jon Frohlich » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:40 pm

cwm191 wrote:100% agree! Easily the most deeply researched and emotive "mountain" book I've ever read. It's one of my new favorite adventure books. Now, I'm almost done reading The Operators by Michael Hastings about General McChrystal and his shenanigans in Afghanistan.

Completely different I'm sure but I'm reading The Places In Between by Rory Stewart about walking (!!!!) across Afghanistan not long after September 11 and around the time we invaded. Fascinating look at the people and history of the region. Pretty much everyone thought he was going to get himself killed but he made it.

Postby Derek » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Read a book last year called "The Mapmakers" which was about the history of mapmaking. (Shocker.) In it, there was a brief story of the original outsider exploration of Tibet that was done in secret by a couple of Indian cousins, hired by the British. Turns out there was a full book on the adventure, called "Trespassers at the Roof of the World"...so thats what is on my nightstand now.
http://www.amazon.com/Trespassers-Roof-World-Exploration-Kodansha/dp/1568360509

--D
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby Craig Cook » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:14 am

I recently finished re-reading The Long Walk by Stephen King. It doesn't take place in the mountains, but it is a story about hiking to the extreme. I love this novel.
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby JoeyJ » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:44 am

"Broken Hand" - Interesting read with adventure and danger around every corner, about the life of Tom Fitzpatrick, mountain man and guide of the 1800s. A lot of historical accounting to wade thru as you go... and that gets a bit dry and repetitive- but still a good read. Line from the book: "The Indians had been reported hostile, but a discharge of the Howitzer seems to have convinced them of the virtues of peace." :-)

BTW after reading "The Long Walk" by Rawicz I checked out the movie "The Way Back" which is based on this book. IT was OK, but as usual, the book is better than the flick!
"Material possessions, winning scores, and great reputations are meaningless in the eyes of the Lord, because He knows what we really are and that is all that matters."
John Wooden

Postby Dex » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:03 am

2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America
http://www.amazon.com/2030-Real-Story-Happens-America/dp/0312583729

The younger members of this community should read it. The author draws you in and touches on current and future issues that will affect us all. I'm half way through it.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

PreviousNext