Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bear Peak

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Bear Peak

Postby JA_son27 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Was just wondering what the conditions were on Bear Peak via the Shadow Canyon route? Thanks in advance!
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Re: Bear Peak

Postby Brian C » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:26 pm

Not sure about Shadow Canyon but the trail down from the Third was an icy nightmare as of today. I wouldn't be surprised if Bear Peak trail was similar in spots.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:30 pm

We did Green via NCAR last weekend. There was ice, esp higher up and shaded places. Later in the day the lower elevations had some muddy spots. Suggest MicroSpikes and a pole.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Project Ralphie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Same response here. I don't know about Shadow Canyon, but be prepared for serious ice anywhere that is not getting sun. We did Bear Canyon/West Ridge from NCAR, and it was fine on the way up, but we came down Fern Canyon on the North/East side and it was a sheet of ice to the saddle, despite the general lack of snow in Boulder and relatively warm temps. You'll probably only need spikes in a few select areas, but it will be worth it.

Postby thebeave7 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Been running up and down the Boulder Peaks all winter (if you can call it that, so warm). Standard conditions exist, in Shadow you'll find some icy spots down lower, but also plenty of rock and exposed dirt. Then an icy section in the middle, then a drier section up near the saddle. Last little jaunt up either S Boulder Pk or Bear Pk will be snowy/icy. Fern canyon is always an icy luge run until sometime in April or May. West Ridge of Bear and Bear canyon are snow packed and icy. Microspikes work fantastically on all approaches, probably least least necessary in Shadow Canyon. I wouldn't touch Fern Canyon without Microspikes, the few people I've seen on it without have looked quite frightened.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Note: If you are in a car not registered in Boulder County, South Mesa TH is now a pay area.

http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1157&Itemid=418#park-fee
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby jsdratm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:01 am

I did Bear Peak last saturday and it was mostly dry until the saddle, but I would still take along some microspikes