Bear Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Bear Peak

Post by JA_son27 »

Was just wondering what the conditions were on Bear Peak via the Shadow Canyon route? Thanks in advance!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Bear Peak

Post by Brian C »

Not sure about Shadow Canyon but the trail down from the Third was an icy nightmare as of today. I wouldn't be surprised if Bear Peak trail was similar in spots.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

We did Green via NCAR last weekend. There was ice, esp higher up and shaded places. Later in the day the lower elevations had some muddy spots. Suggest MicroSpikes and a pole.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Project Ralphie
14ers: 30 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Project Ralphie »

Same response here. I don't know about Shadow Canyon, but be prepared for serious ice anywhere that is not getting sun. We did Bear Canyon/West Ridge from NCAR, and it was fine on the way up, but we came down Fern Canyon on the North/East side and it was a sheet of ice to the saddle, despite the general lack of snow in Boulder and relatively warm temps. You'll probably only need spikes in a few select areas, but it will be worth it.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Been running up and down the Boulder Peaks all winter (if you can call it that, so warm). Standard conditions exist, in Shadow you'll find some icy spots down lower, but also plenty of rock and exposed dirt. Then an icy section in the middle, then a drier section up near the saddle. Last little jaunt up either S Boulder Pk or Bear Pk will be snowy/icy. Fern canyon is always an icy luge run until sometime in April or May. West Ridge of Bear and Bear canyon are snow packed and icy. Microspikes work fantastically on all approaches, probably least least necessary in Shadow Canyon. I wouldn't touch Fern Canyon without Microspikes, the few people I've seen on it without have looked quite frightened.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Note: If you are in a car not registered in Boulder County, South Mesa TH is now a pay area.

http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.ph ... 8#park-fee
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

I did Bear Peak last saturday and it was mostly dry until the saddle, but I would still take along some microspikes